Sunday, January 19, 2020

BROWN BETTY CASSEROLE


I have no idea who penned this recipe on lined notepaper, but whoever it was had a spot of fun in the left margin. Turns out, this is a variation of an old English rhyme.
A was an apple.
B bought it.
C cooked it.
D dropped it.
E eluded it.
F found it.
G grabbed it.
H hid it.
I inquired for it.
J jumped for it.
K kept it.
L laughed at it.
M marked it.
N needed it.
O obtained it.
P peeled it.
Q quartered it.
R reached for it.
S snatched it.
T took it.
U upset it.
V vaulted it.
W walked away with it.
XYZ all ate a piece of it.




Have you heard this rhyme before?
Have you ever baked an Apple Brown Betty? Wikipedia says it's a traditional American dessert. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

I've always heard of apple brown Betty, but I don't think I've ever eaten it. I made apple crisp. And I've never heard the alphabet rhyme before. Makes me think of the book Chicka-Chicka Boom Boom though.

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Thank you. Can't wait to try it !

Kathy said...

Hi Two Cables!
Did yo try the Apple Brown Betty recipe? What did you think? Next time, I think I'd use more apples -- or less crumbs.