Sunday, January 12, 2020

FORGETFULNESS

Lovely snow scenes leftover from Christmas should carry us through winter.

It’s winter in the Great Inland Empire of the Pacific Northwest. Whether it’s mild or severe, nothing much happens in winter. It seems a natural to write about recipes during these dull days, but unfortunately, I discovered I’m duplicating posts written in past years.

I don’t think I have a severe problem, but I do forget things. The other day I set a timer and when it went off, it took me a minute to remember what I was timing. (I had treated the shower with Drano and needed to rinse it with hot water.) But today I easily remembered where to find the relocated frozen rolls in the grocery store. Go figure! While it’s disconcerting to discover that I have basically rewritten a post, I’m not sure I want to worry about it. With Blogger, it’s difficult to locate a previous post with key words alone. On the other hand, I have a lot of family recipes. I don’t have to keep playing over the same half dozen.

For several days, the forecast has been for winter weather – snow and rain, cold and colder, wind. Spokane had a terrible storm on Friday; Moscow had snow on Saturday; but in our valley, it has remained moderate despite the forecast for winter precipitation and cold temps. So, we’ve become a bit oblivious. After lunch, Mike prepared for a bike ride (which seems to take a good 15 minutes), but when he went to leave, he discovered pouring rain and wind gusts at 20 mph. He was glad he hadn’t left 15 minutes earlier and been caught in the storm. He changed his clothes again and went to the gym.

Our supper plan is for “Pheasant Leg Soup.” I’ll cook the pheasant legs in the Instant Pot, then add the meat to a Bear Creek Soup mix to which I’ll add extra broth, tortellini, and spinach. When I ladle it out, I’ll put extra portions of meat in Mike’s bowl. KW

2 comments:

Chuck said...

I'm glad Mike didn't get caught in the rain on his bike. The pheasant soup sounds good enough to come all the way up there to have a sample. Keep the blogs coming. I look forward to the insights into your life.

Chris said...

It's soup weather! We're working our way through a pot of cheesy potato bacon soup. We had corn muffins with it to start, but I'm thinking of making some kind of bread today. We'll see! Yours sounds delicious! (I'm a pushover for tortellini in any form.)