Wednesday, January 8, 2020

COTTAGE CHOCOLATE COOKIES


Here we are – two weeks out from Christmas and one week into the new year – and we have made just one trip to the grocery store (outside of buying milk) just to pick up a few items. I buy a lot of food before Christmas so that I have on hand everything that anyone could want. (There’s no quick trip to the market from the farmhouse.) In addition to having a surplus of food due to the holidays, I also have to make room for the contents of the farmhouse fridge. I’m trying to use things up and also combine containers.

I discovered a brand-new carton of cottage cheese in the back of my fridge the other day with an expiration date of Nov. 9. Yikes! Upon examination, it still seemed good. I have this theory that if products remain sealed in the fridge, they will last beyond the expiration date, but what would be the best way to use it now? Of course, Bess would be happy to have it on her food, but I remembered a chocolate cookie recipe I used in the ‘70s. I lost track of it years ago, but as luck would have it, I found it as I was reviewing Mother’s recipes. Here it is:

COTTAGE CHOCOLATE COOKIES
2 cups butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup cottage cheese
1 T vanilla (yes, a tablespoon)
2 eggs
5 cups flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
Powdered sugar

Cream butter and sugars until fluffy.
Add cottage cheese and vanilla; beat thoroughly.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift together flour, cocoa, soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
Stir in nuts and chocolate pieces.
Form into one-inch balls and roll in powdered sugar.
Place on greased cookie sheet. (Parchment paper worked great!)
Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Yield: 6-7 dozen cookies

This makes such a big batch that it was difficult to mix. It could easily be halved, and another time I would do that. I was just so determined to use that cottage cheese! Also, I discovered that I had no powdered sugar, so I did without, but it did make a difference in the end product.

This recipe was printed in the “Bon Appetite” section of the Washington Water Power Family Gazette, August 1976. The home economist was Mona Mitchell. Back in the day, I looked forward to this little flier, but eventually it all went away. I’m not sure we have home economists any more – or even who owns our utilities company. But back in the day, Mona was great. KW



2 comments:

Chris said...

I loved that little flyer that came with the light bill! I guess we have the internet now, and can look up recipes for anything (which I do!), but it still doesn't equal the pleasure of finding a new possibility in the WWP (also long gone) bill. Kinda of a treat with the sting. Glad you found your recipe and saved the cottage cheese!

Kathy said...

I enjoyed the flier, and I know Mother did, but in its latter years I heard criticism -- resentment that WWP was paying a staff to publish the Gazette, especially the home economist. I look up recipes on the internet, too, but on any given day, it presents me with more than I can use.

So -- yes, I just googled "Cottage Chocolate Cookies" and found recipes -- not quite the same, perhaps better. My dough was really stiff.