Thursday, January 23, 2020

NEW KITCHEN RANGE


“Range.” That’s a strange word for a cooking appliance, isn’t it? According to my research, if you have an oven and elements heated by a separate source, you have a range, but you can be forgiven for calling it a stove. I have always called it a stove, but apparently the better term is range.

Having been more than a week without a range, the old one being defunct, Wednesday morning I called the shop to ask if my new unit had come in. After spelling my last name, I waited 30 seconds for the secretary to come back with the info that it had been delivered to the shop the previous day. “When can I expect it to be delivered,” I asked. “How about after lunch today,” she replied. I had to wonder if it would have been delivered “after lunch” if I hadn’t called. “The squeaky wheel gets the grease.”

We pulled out the old range and I gave the “hole” a good cleaning. I also washed everything that was stored in the drawer and decided to keep the broiler pan. Good thing, too, because the new range didn't come with one. I seem to remember now that broiler pans haven't been a standard inclusion for many years. I guess it doesn't really matter because I can't remember the last time I needed one.

Installation went without a hitch. The delivery did not install the accompanying brace. He said he'd do it if I wanted it, but where we didn't have children in the home, he didn't think it was necessary. Besides, he said, if he installed it, we wouldn't be able to clean behind it. 

“I wonder what new and tasty dishes will come from the new stove,” said Mike. And I pointed out that the old skill set works on the new range. KW



1 comment:

Chris said...

It looks bee-u-ti-ful! Like it just belongs there. Is the cook-top white or black? I thought they were all black but I noticed Kirsten's was white and it surprised me. Yes, no matter what, it's still the same cook! :-)