Tuesday, August 4, 2020

STAYCATION DAY 2

Saturday, August 1

I like to staycation while Mike vacations, but I do have responsibilities – watering the raised beds and the trees, laundry, taking care of Bess, plus a few extras with which I have been charged. That’s where the staycation gifts come in. I have ordered a vintage message board from an Etsy seller for my “work center” in the farmhouse dining room and a couple of Dept. 56 holiday accessories. And I also ordered yet another panel dress for my dolls. I’ll try to think of something else. The economy needs my help!

I was up at 5:30. I like to sit around in the quietude for an hour or two, but Mike gets dressed and goes outside, and Bess is used to his routine. So, I got dressed, but before I could get my shoes on, I noticed a doe and her tiny fawn in the yard. She nibbled at the bottom of the compound and then they worked their way through the weeds at the edge of the canola (south side of house) to check on the pear tree (no fruit this year, by the way). As I was getting the camera ready in the utility room, she evidently sensed my presence. Whistling a warning to the little one, they dashed off into the field. That was that.

I let Bess out of the shed and gave her breakfast. She was content to wait awhile, but about 7:00 she was at the back door, saying that we’d better take our walk before it got any hotter. It was 75. I had an important piece of mail to take to the mailbox, and that was my motivation for a long walk.

It was a reasonably productive day. I talked with several of my children, did two loads of laundry, watered the gardens and the trees. And I sewed at my living room station. I’m making yet another swimsuit – a glutton for punishment.

At 4:00, Bess said it was time for a walk. Down the lane we went, but when we got to the bottom, she turned around and started back to the house for reasons only she knows. She seemed pleased that I followed her.

I actually made myself a good supper – chicken tenders, mélange of summer squash, and mashed potatoes. We did the dishes (sort of) and brushed Bess’ teeth. But she was restless, not having had a good constitutional. That’s when I made the fateful decision that we should tour the pond – just to settle her.

We began, as usual, by walking around the front side of the pond, and when we were midway the back side, we came to a rattler in the path. It coiled and rattled immediately. Bess was indignant and agitated, lunging and barking, but I convinced her we should go back the way we had come. However, rounding to the front side, we came upon another rattler in the path, also coiled and rattling. Bess was ready to attack, but I managed to get her turned around again and to the backside we went, but that rattler was still there and still coiled. Again, we reversed our course. I felt trapped and panic was rising, not so much for myself but because I had to manage Bess. I picked up a stick from under the pines – just what I thought I’d do with it I don’t know – but luckily, the frontside rattler had disappeared. Bess was willing to hunt for it, but I kept her marching toward the house. She was not eager to give up, but I commanded emphatically, “NO!”

I’m not sure I ever want to visit the pond again. In fact, I was ready to load up and go back to town. The rattlesnakes aren’t aggressive, but they are intimidating, and managing Bess is the real issue. Thinking about it, I realized that evening is feeding time for animals in the wild. We have never wandered around in the evening, and that’s a good plan.

Later, the mother and little fawn surreptitiously crept along the edge of the south field, heading to the pond. I thought they were living a bit dangerously, but Bess slumbered on from the chaise on the porch. She asked to be put to bed early. KW

6 comments:

Chris said...

Yikes!! I know it had a happy ending but I got a little frightened for you as I read. For sure no more evening strolls!

Hmm, I like your thinking about the economy needing your help. Maybe it needs mine, too? LOL!!

Hallie said...

Ugh! I hate the dog-snake combo! I'm not sure I've ever spied a snake here in the city, but I've seen other interesting things: opossum(s?), rats, raccoons, coyote, and even a weasel once.

Kathy said...

Oh, Chris -- the economy absolutely needs your help! And just think of the aid you've already bestowed -- shoes, purse, perhaps a quilt kit or two. Don't stop now. With your encouragement, I bought a 14" wool pressing mat the other day, and even though I said they could delay delivery, it's already here.

I could smell a skunk Saturday afternoon. And don't forget the coyotes. Some cities have coyotes.Do you have coyotes in Seattle?

Hallie said...

Oh, yes, coyotes love it in the city--cats abound and they're easy killin'. I also saw three owls on a couple weekend runs recently. Very cool!

Kathy said...

Did you see Chris' post about the owls in her tree? -- https://millerslastresort.blogspot.com/2020/06/feathered-friends.html

Chris said...

I hope you love your pressing mat as much as I love mine!