Thursday, August 6, 2020

STAYCATION DAY 4



Cottonwood Butte
A hummingbird came to the bathroom window this morning to report that the feeder was out of nectar. I rectified that immediately. The yard is alive with hummingbirds. As staycation 2020 draws to a close, I will hate to leave them. I rather think they might be gone the next time I come.
 
I was awake before 5:00 and up before 5:30. It was 63 degrees. Today, I closed the upstairs and the south windows, but the day was pleasantly summery and breezy.

I invited Bess for an early morning walk, and this time she was eager to go. We walked all the way to the mailbox, and the scenic photos here are those I took along the way. The pre-harvest views inspire photography, but the picture never does justice to the real scene. AND -- they are out of focus because I so wanted to capture the distant buttes, with the result that both foreground and background are distorted.

The old barn at the corner -- still there
I had gardening to do today. I pulled the peas out of the tire bed and picked more strawberries. I should have enough to serve strawberry shortcake to Mike tomorrow night.

The little swimsuit did not fit the doll, so I felt that the time making it had been a waste and then I wasted another hour trying to salvage it. I think the fold-over elastic stretched out of shape. Whatever happened, it doesn’t really matter because I didn’t like that particular style anyway. (So there!)



Teakean Butte
I had phone calls today – Ken, Hallie (twice), Mike. And a field worker from an internet service came by to test equipment on our house. He politely explained who he was and that he didn’t need to come inside. This service comes off Teakean Butte, so he worked on the north side of the house.

I baked cookies this afternoon. Bess helped with clean-up.

This evening I tried to take Bess for a walk, but when we got to the lane, she ran back to the house. We played fetch instead. She doesn’t seem to mind that I’m not good at throwing the ball.

Central Ridge in the distance
When I went out to take the clothes off the line this evening, an angry wasp stung me three times – my leg at the sock line, my left ring finger, and my left arm at the sleeve line below the shoulder. Agony! First, I grabbed an ice cube, and then I made a baking soda poultice. Later, I got the clothes off the line and didn’t see any wasps.

Don’t get me wrong – I would not like to cope with a rattlesnake bite, but at least they warn you and unless provoked, they don’t strike. The wasps are another story. KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

I heard of a strange, but apparently good remedy for stings. Are you ready for this? Bleach! Put some on a q-tip and dab away. My friend Sally is a nurse and swears by it! So sorry you had to get stung, and then to have it be three times!! So wrong.

Kathy said...

Oh man! That wasp was angry! I think it was on the screen door handle, but on the other hand, it doesn't seem to take much to make them mad. I will write bleach on my list of home remedies for stings. I've used baking soda for years, and I've also heard that an onion, cut side on the sting, works well, but I never have enough onion on hand to waste it that way.

Last year, a pharmacist recommended Hydrocortisone 1% ointment for Mike's sting, and he reminded me of that. I don't know if it helped or not because it's such an intermittent reaction. One minute I'm all calm, the next I can hardly stand the itch. I AM getting my rest, though, so that's good.

Chuck said...

I think I told you earlier about your Grandma Ina using a mixture of baking soda and bluing when I got stung by black hornets right behind my ear. The pain went away almost immediately. I was getting a log from the draw north of the house, and they had a nest in the log. When I turned the tractor off, and ran to the house, I got to the house before the engine quit.

Becky said...

Also a paste of meat tenderizer works great. I've used it and it takes the sting away almost immediately. And the next day all gone. Couldn't even tell where I was stung.

Kathy said...

Wow! great home remedies! Yes, Chuck, I do recall your telling me about the baking soda / bluing that Grandma Ina used. Despite that advice, I didn't check to see if one can still buy bluing. And meat tenderizer -- I don't have that either. I could have used bleach. Whatever, I think it's important to hit it immediately before it spreads. As to mental attitude, it helps not to indulge in anger and self-pity. Hard not to be angry. The pain is all about anger.