Saturday, October 24, 2020

HALLIE'S GREAT FRENCH MACARON EXPERIMENT

"Can we make macaroons at the farm?” messaged Hallie.

“Hmmm,” I said to myself because I didn’t think she liked coconut. But to her, I said, “Sure.” So, we made plans. She began to list the ingredients we would need. I would have plenty of eggs, fine sugar, powdered sugar, and vanilla. She would bring the almond flour and the piping bags and tips. I began to be confused – and she made no mention of coconut.

“What kind of coconut do you want me to get?” I messaged back.


“Coconut? Do macaroons have coconut? I don’t like coconut.” That’s when I realized we weren’t talking about macaroons, at least not the macaroons I know about.

I assured her that macaroons most certainly have coconut, and that’s when she revealed that she was talking about French Macarons, which some people pronounce like “macaroons.” It’s a small meringue-like cookie, about the size of a 50-cent piece (if you remember what those looked like), two of which are held together with a filling. Recipes and tutorials abound on the internet, but you can read an overview of this ancient confection here.

First batch -- not quite right but tasty anyway

So – it was Hallie’s project, and I tried to help when she had questions. She made her first tray on Friday (Oct. 16) and was disappointed that the little cookies didn’t turn out as she had hoped. To her they were a flop. She lamented, and like any mother, I felt bad for her. She didn’t bother to fill them, but they were still good, and we ate them up.

Success! Perfect little macarons

Saturday, Hallie tried again, this time making a half batch of chocolate macarons. They were just right, and she was so pleased! She made a little buttercream filling and pasted two together. She noted that they wouldn’t keep and shared them generously.  

Happy Hallie

Hallie told me that she knows of a little shop in Seattle that sells only French macarons. Price: $2.00 ea. No wonder she wanted to learn to make her own! KW

5 comments:

Chuck said...

Way to go, Hallie. I'm glad you persevered. Wow! $2.00 each?

Chris said...

Those Macarons seem to be the big deal these days. Hallie's look perfect! I haven't tried one, or even seen one for sale, but I don't think I'd pay $2. Do you think you'll try making some now that you've seen the process?

Kathy said...

Macarons DO seem to be a big deal. After Nick and Hallie left, I discovered a macaron jigsaw puzzle (1000 pieces), and knowing that they also love to construct puzzles, I HAD to order it for them. I think the title of the puzzle is "Tasty Treats" by Lang.

I think making macarons is akin to making divinity: It takes some skill and know-how, and it's lovely to gain the ability, but eating it is problematic, especially when it's just the two of us. As Hallie said, they probably don't keep well. I think they're a little touchy and it's definitely a process, so I'll probably stick to gingersnaps, etc.

But -- I am the proud mother of a macaron baker.

Chris said...

And well you should be proud!

M/W said...

They were very tasty.