Wednesday, October 28, 2020

NEW BOSCH DISHWASHER

Auto Wash

You might think that a new dishwasher isn’t deserving of one post, let alone two. It’s just that for me, it's been a long journey to an adequate dishwasher.


I was lazy yesterday and didn’t take pictures of the new unit. And I wasn’t sure photos would be of general interest, but Chris requested one, so I took some today.  I suppose most every post is better with illustrations. (I just hope Blogger will cooperate.)


Ready to wash

The dealer had two Bosch units in the showroom. At $500, the one we chose, the SHEM3A/52N, was the smaller of the two and $300 less. The salesman said it would be quiet but not as quiet as its big sister, and it has fewer control options. Hmmmm. What to do? I think I would have liked the bigger tank, but I didn’t need the bells and whistles. If only one could experiment a bit before buying. When I said that I just wanted it to clean the dishes, the salesman looked at me as if to say, “Don’t they all?” No, I happen to know that they don’t, and I’m not the only one saying it.

Casserole and hot chocolate residue

The dealer said that they could no longer install dishwashers because Washington law stipulates that the installer must be a licensed electrician. They would give us the name of someone, or we could use our own installer. Mike said he would install it himself.

Casserole needs scrubbing; residue gone

When the unit was delivered, Mike decided to install a receptacle so that we could just plug it in. Luckily, he said, he is both an electrician and a plumber. As First Assistant, I served as flashlight holder and finder of lost screws. Installing ourselves saved money but took our time, and I guess we have the time if it saves money.

Mike observed that this unit is a better fit than the Kenmore. It’s also sturdier and has cut-to-fit insulation. The insulation on the Kenmore was just a strip of batting-like material.

Previously, a repairman advised me not to use soap pods. The salesman assured me the pods are safe. The manual says to use pods or powdered detergent. Judging from my experience, I suppose the gel leaves a residue, but I have some to use up. 

According to the manual, scraping food from the dishes is all that's necessary. "Do not rinse," it says. But I found it left baked-on food. (To be fair, Bess didn't get it off either.)

A delicate cycle for the holiday dishes

The salesman also advised me to use those cycles that dry the dishes. For years, I have not used the heated dry, and after running this unit the first time, I was amazed that the dishes were so hot! However, the manual says this is normal and advises allowing the dishes to cool before removing.

It is a joy – a joy, I say – to remove clean dishes from the dishwasher, even if scouring a little baked on goo is necessary.  KW

6 comments:

Chris said...

It looks lovely! How long does it take to run through a cycle? Is it the two hours ten minutes shown? I fear I've been spoiled by Brunhilde's 45 minutes to clean. Especially on holidays when it needs to run time after time.

So happy for you!!

Kathy said...

Yes, the cycles are 2:10 and 2:15. Delicate runs for 1:25. It has a speed cycle at 60 minutes. The repairman told me the Kenmore's one-hour wash was adequate, but it's possible he knew more about that machine's failings than he was willing to say.

Well, if I need the short wash time for some reason, I have it.

Hallie said...

I’m a pre-rinser. We don’t run it every day, so I’ve always felt that I should rinse them so that stuff doesn’t dry on there. An ounce of prevention, I guess. I need to read our manual to see what it says about the detergent. I like gel, but I also want to comply with manufacturer recommendations.

M/W said...

Hallie: You mean Primo isn't a pre-wash cleaner?

Kathy said...

I think Hallie told me that Primo is not allowed the privilege of cleaning the dishes. Oh Dear! I hope we haven't spoiled "first grand-dog."

Hallie said...

Primo can help clean a plate from a fried egg, which seems a good arrangement since eggs are good for dogs and will stick to a plate like plaster if not cleaned promptly. Otherwise, no plates for him. Not to worry, he is still VERY spoiled!