Sunday, November 1, 2020

A LOVELY HALLOWEEN

A recent sunrise

Halloween was a lovely autumn day, and so is today. I would wish you a “happy Hallowmas,” but I’m not sure that’s appropriate.

Witch Costumes -- Finished!

I spent Halloween sewing a second (actually a third) witch’s costume from a fabric panel (“Eek Boo Shriek” by Carina Gardner for Riley Blake, 2017). The first went to Hazel. The other two will go into my inventory. By the time I finished the third one, I was getting pretty good, if I do say so myself, an example of practice makes perfect. I had a lot of fun making them and remembering happy Halloweens spent with children and grandchildren. And now these costumes are finished and no longer on my “to do” list – a wonderful feeling.

Sophronia (Phronsie) and Lexie were overjoyed to be asked to model the costumes. These dolls are not American Girls, but I refuse to call them “knock-offs.” They are wonderful in their own right. Phronsie is a Tonner “My Imagination” doll, and Lexie is of the Madame Alexander “Favorite Friends” line.

Nick & Hallie
Halloween Fun

I do enjoy a bit of imaginative Halloween spookiness – you know, not the macabre and suspenseful but jack-o-lanterns, candles, moonlit nights, shadows, and friendly ghosts and witches running about. I like the pairing of deep colors – orange, black, purple. And in the kitchen, I like spiciness – gingerbread, gingerbread cookies, gingerbread tea, spicy apple cake, and chili. Oh! – and don’t forget zucchini bread. The gingerbread, pumpkins, and autumn colors get to stay, but the witches must be put away. 

This Halloween is memorable for its “Blue Moon,” the second full moon in a single calendar month. And it’s also the close of daylight savings time. Today we returned to standard time. KW

Until next year

 

3 comments:

Chris said...

It was a beautiful day and evening. The moon was spectacular--so lovely! It was a quiet evening here, when we lived in other houses we got lots of trick or treaters, but here we get none and that's just fine with us. And this year, very few probably actually went out.

Kathy said...

Same here -- in other locations we had lots of trick-or-treaters, but here, the street is dark and perhaps more to the point, there aren't many children. And I do think that there is less of it these days, and this year for sure.

M/W said...

“Eek Boo Shriek” - I love that name.