Sunday, November 29, 2020

GILBERT FARM WIVES, 1919

My Aunt Lynn (Myrtle Dobson) took this picture of farm wives at “the Cunningham sale” near the farming community of Gilbert, Idaho, in the summer of 1919. I suspect that the Cunninghams were selling out and leaving the area. It’s the only photo of this type that I find in my grandmother’s collection. I think it was a poignant occasion. The small farmers, many of whom were original homesteaders in the area, were selling out. Perhaps Ina foresaw that this group would not be together again. The Gilbert post office closed in 1920, meaning that their hopes for a real town had not materialized.

It doesn’t matter about the event. In fact, 100 years later, even the identities don’t matter very much. These were hardworking farm wives of the pre-electrification era. The picture speaks to me without words, as I hope it does to you.

The women are Identified as follows:

Standing, l. to r.: Mrs. Wells, Mrs. Cordell, Bertha Dobson, Ida Chandler Dickson, Ida McCain, Ina Dobson (my grandmother), Mrs. Dieterle, Mrs. Trutton, Kate Lugar (standing behind Mrs. Laura Moss), Effie Hill, Mrs. Reese, Mrs. Phar.

Seated, l. to r.: Mrs. Cunningham, Grandma Chandler, Emma Pratt, Mildred Boehm.

Bertha Dobson was my grandmother’s sister, affectionately called “Aunt” by Ina’s children. Ida Chandler Dickson, called “Ida-Ben” to distinguish her from another “Aunt Ida,” was married to Bertha and Ina’s brother, Ben Dickson.  

Mrs. Cordell and her son Jay were guests at Ina’s Christmas Eve parties, as were John and Mildred Boehm. Someone told me that Jay Cordell was interested in courting Aunt Shirley, but when Henry Shockley came along, he backed off. KW

4 comments:

Becky said...

Looks like most are dressed in their "Sunday best". I don't understand why no ever smiled in old pictures. They just don't look happy. It is a neat picture though.

Kathy said...

Your comment is funnier than you know, Becky. On the back of the photo, Aunt Bertha wrote that Earle was standing beside Myrtle (the photographer), holding up a piece of cheese. "You can see the effect that his comment had on us," she writes. Undoubtedly he said, "Say cheese," but no, I can't see that it had an effect.

Chris said...

Pictures of that era intrigue me. The images are so clear! And I notice that in addition to not smiling (although several seem to be maybe on the verge) you can see no one's teeth. They all have their mouths firmly closed. I do love the dress on the lady in the center front--so different from all the rest!

Kathy said...

Hi Chris!
I believe you refer to Mrs. Cunningham. I wonder if she made / bought a dress for the occasion. I think it might be two-piece.

I think black & white has greater clarity than color. I attended a presentation by a professional newspaper photographer in 1971, and he said the only time he used color film was when his wife begged for color photos of the children. It's another thing that has just disappeared from our world.