Friday, November 20, 2020

DOES YOUR STASH LOSE ITS LUSTER?

Late afternoon sunlight reflected on a gray day

The refrain of an old song goes like this:

Does your chewing gum lose its flavor
on the bedpost overnight?
If your mother says don't chew it,
Do you swallow it in spite?
Can you catch it on your tonsils,
Can you heave it left & right?
Does your chewing gum lose its flavor
on the bedpost overnight?

As I stood before the bolts of holiday fabric in JoAnn’s the other day, holding back the urge to buy, that tune began to play in my head:

“Oh, does your fabric lose its luster

In the cupboard overnight?

If your conscience says don’t buy it,

Do you purchase it in spite?

Can you think of how to use it,

Can you fold it left and right?

Does your fabric lose its luster

In the cupboard overnight?”

My stash, except for what's in the shed, etc.

I don’t have room for more fabric. I need to use what I have before I buy more. And yet, inspiration seems to lie with what’s on the bolts in the store, not what’s in my cupboard. But I know if I buy a yard or two of fabric, it will become just as stale as what’s already in the cupboard UNLESS it’s purchased for a specific forthcoming project. And even then, it can end up in the closet losing its luster. KW

 

 

[You can listen to the song here. For a whimsical treat, watch the Muppets' rendition here.]

6 comments:

Chris said...

Hahaha!! This is great!! You are a genius song writer! I have kept myself firmly in line at the fabric stores, but in my case, I love what's in my stash and actually love "shopping" my closet. I'm pretty sure I'll never use up what I have in my "pitiful" stash (as commented on my another quilter). But I do use it and Ann can have whatever is left!

Kathy said...

Hi Chris!
The song was a strange experience because the words just began to dance in my head as I stood looking at the fabric.

In the past, I have purchased from the remnant bin without shopping the bolts. When I returned to sewing, I didn't have a stash and I just needed fabric, but as we know, the fabric lines change continually, as do the patterns and presentations, and I like to feel that I can participate if I want to. I will probably donate some of my fabric.

On the other hand, it is satisfying to turn to my stash and find something I can use for most any project.

M/W said...

You may have a future in the song writing business.

Kathy said...

I don't think my ditties would be accepted as original. I might even get into trouble. You can see that I didn't claim it as original.

Hallie said...

Well, Weird Al Yankovic made a career out of singing parodies. Maybe he had to gain permission to do it.

I liked the Muppet version best.

Kathy said...

I don't know the rules of writing parodies. I'm sure Weird Al knew what he could get away with. I mean, I'm amazed at what comedians get away with.

The Muppets are the best.