Wednesday, November 18, 2020

LOCAL SHOPPING

Sunrise (Nov. 17)

I just happen to have a suit of long underwear, and as I dressed for our trip to the farm last Saturday, I couldn’t help but think how grateful I am for it. I was browsing through ShopKo on my lunch break one day 20 years ago or so when I found both tops and bottoms on a clearance table. I don’t remember what they cost –probably around $5.00 each. I bought them on a whim, and I’ve been glad to have them every winter since. The brand name is “Chill Chasers.” They’re polyester/cotton – not fancy expensive silk like my mother wore. But honestly, my “Chill Chasers" make all the difference in cold weather.

Then I went out to the shed and retrieved the little snow boots I keep here in town. I was browsing in Kmart one day when I found them on sale for $20 at a time when I needed them. They aren’t comfortable enough for a long walk, but they’re warm and keep my feet dry – just the thing for our quick trip to the farm. In fact, I was glad I was wearing them when I had to step out of the Jeep into slush to get the mail.

These are just a couple of little things that make life in winter more comfortable, and I happened to find them while shopping in person. I don't think I would have shopped for long underwear online, nor would I have found them through online browsing. And when it comes to shoes, I just have to try before I buy.

This morning Mike tried to buy a t-shirt he saw at a local shop. They didn’t have the size he needed, so he bought it online. But – the point remains that he wouldn’t have known about that shirt if he hadn’t seen it locally.

In my community, retail is changing rapidly. ShopKo and Kmart are gone, along with Penney’s and Macy’s, the local gift shop, etc., etc., etc. I guess I’m part of the problem because I don’t buy very much – not really. And besides, keeping local retail alive is more than any one person can do. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

I think I still have all my long johns from skiing. Somewhere. And I do have various boots to keep my feet warm. I've had good luck buying shoes over the internet. Zappos has free shipping and free returns. I've used the free returns once or twice, and of course Amazon does the same, with not even having to box things up, just get them to the UPS store with a code on your phone that they zap. I've never been a big shopper so I guess I've segued into online shopping pretty painlessly.

Kathy said...

I struggle to find comfortable shoes. I have a short foot with wide toes and a narrow heel. I have corns from years of stuffing my toes into narrow shoes. And often the arch isn't right. I have never ordered a satisfactory pair of shoes. You are right that returns are fairly easy. We've done plenty of it ourselves.

I do envy you the cute shoe styles you find online.

Hallie said...

I don't know if shoes are made for anyone. I have a hard time with my running shoes. I have one foot that is almost a half size smaller, so if the shoe fits the left, it's a bit big for the right. My callouses are impressive.

Also not much of a shopper, but I haven't yet found returns super easy since we don't have a printer. I was able to return one thing the way Chris mentioned--no need to package or print; but it seems it's not available for all items.

Kathy said...

I'm have one foot larger than the other, too -- probably why I struggle to get a good fit. My favorite shoes have a mesh upper, but then they aren't warm enough for winter wear. I also like sandals, but obviously they aren't warm in winter and aren't good for walking.

I think the manner of return depends on the seller. Mike has been struggling with a weather station, and the seller refunded his money and told him to keep the unit.