Tuesday, October 27, 2020

THE NEW IMPROVED DISHWASHER

If you’ve been reading here for a few years, you’ve undoubtedly seen at least one of my rants about my useless Kenmore dishwasher. The subject got old and I quit whining, but the problem continued.

We bought the dishwasher from Sears in 2015 along with other major appliances. It was a lemon from the beginning, but we were already battling Sears over the useless refrigerator. They treated us abominably, and I couldn't bring myself to say, "Oh, by the way, the dishwasher doesn't work either." We refused to buy their expensive extended warranties, so when at less than two years the dishwasher’s pump went out, we paid $260 to have it fixed, but it still didn’t clean the dishes.

Mike and I aren’t people who easily cut our losses and start over – well, Mike isn’t anyway – so we put up with this sorry dishwasher until finally I was hand-washing the dishes before I loaded them so that I didn’t have to hand-wash them when I took them out. Over the last several weeks, I began to make presentations from the kitchen counter to illustrate the dishwasher’s failures – milky-looking glasses, dried on cereal, crumbs on dessert plates. “It’s disgusting, and it’s useless to run this dishwasher,” I proclaimed.

Discussion ensued, and yesterday (Monday, Oct. 26), we shopped a local appliance store (Largent’s) and bought a Bosch. For just the two of us living in a small modular home, we chose a smaller model. All I really care is that it cleans the dishes.

Once we made our selection, Mike said he would install it, so, that became the day’s project. The dealer delivered it mid-afternoon, and Mike set to work. Everything we did made the kitchen messier, but by the time supper was over, Mike had the dishwasher installed and we were running our first load.

This unit has a smaller tub than some, but it fits better in the allotted space. Mike noted that it's sturdier than the Kenmore. It runs quietly but we hear water sounds, and I find that reassuring. Best of all, the dishes come out clean and sparkling. That really is the most important thing. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hooray!! A new dishwasher that WORKS! Life changing for sure, at least time making. Picture please.

Hallie said...

Congratulations! Our dw is quiet, too, which I think is good when you live in a small space. It's nice to be able to set it running right before bed and not have it disturb your sleep.