Tuesday, October 6, 2020

THE SEWING JOURNAL

"I'll be waiting to hear how you like it," said Chris when I posted about my new sewing journal (here). “Hmmm,” I wondered to myself, “Is she thinking I might not be able to keep up with this?” Chris and I have been friends for many years. Sometimes the insight is uncanny.

Well, there are some problems with the sewing journal all right, like remembering to add a project when I start it, or totally forgetting about a quick little doll item. In other words, sometimes I fail to keep the journal.

But on the other hand, it does work when I remember.

For instance, I made the sweater Molly is wearing from a pair of socks purchased at JoAnn’s. Making doll sweaters from socks is a particular interest of mine, which I learned about through a “Sewing with Cinnamon” tutorial on pixiefaire.com, a marketplace for doll clothes patterns. When I saw those socks, I knew they had to become a doll sweater. (I’m sorry that I didn’t think to take a picture of the socks while they were still socks.)

Anyway, I’ll spare you the details of my struggles to make that pair of socks into this sweater, but I’ll tell my journal all about it along with my ideas for doing it again. Oh yes, I plan to do it again. I have a collection of cute socks just waiting to become doll sweaters. And I want more!

The thing is, these socks were too small for this design and would have been better suited to a front opening sweater that stayed open. However, I particularly wanted the spiders to hang down in the front. I had to build a placket on one side of the back and then close with snaps instead of Velcro due to the stretchiness of the knit. (Something to be said for snaps anyway, especially if your doll has long hair.) You notice I'm not showing the back.

I completed the outfit by stitching up a pair of leggings out of an old t-shirt.

The little journal calls for a picture of the project, but I don’t do that. I take plenty of pictures, but I don’t print them. A photo of the project might be a nice touch, but I’m not sure it’s necessary. KW


3 comments:

Chris said...

That sweater is adorable! And no, I didn't even think about your not keeping up with the journal. I just wondered if you thought it was worth the effort. I've tried keeping track of things I make on a special calendar, but then I would forget to write things down and soon all would go by the wayside. I wondered if a lovely journal would be the impetus I needed.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris!
I'm not sure if keeping the journal is worth the effort, but I do like having a place to keep notes when needed. For instance, I noted the problems I encountered with the Halloween sweater which may provide reminders for the next effort.I also liked some of the things I did, such as carefully cutting the hem off an old t-shirt and using it as the hem for the sweater.

"Sweaters from Socks" is not a "couture" project, but it's fun. I love the holiday socks, but invariably they have a tight band at the top, and with my well-developed calves, I don't wear them. Making sweaters is a way for me to enjoy the "sock culture."

Becky said...

So cute!!!