Wednesday, March 16, 2022

DEATH VALLEY STAYCATION – DAY 4

If it’s Day 4, this must be Wednesday. Mike messaged this evening to say the day had been long and adventurous, and – it was warm enough to take a swim this evening.

Today’s staycation gift, delivered by the mailman, is a book of doll clothes patterns for 14-inch dolls – Doll Studio Boutique by Erin Hentzel. I have a vintage 14-inch Toni, and I think she can wear these garments.

In addition to this reward, I drove to JoAnn’s today and bought two large storage boxes for my fat quarter collection. Ever since I revived my interest in sewing 15 years ago, I have marveled at the lack of storage systems scaled for the collection of fabric and thread, but these boxes should allow for the categorization I want.

It seems like there’s a dearth of new products right now. Or, maybe I’m just not finding inspiration for whatever reason. I suppose, though, that the pandemic and subsequent distribution difficulties are to blame.

Today, I took out an old project that had become a buffalo – “Jingles the Christmas Elf.” I finished his facial features this afternoon. I was stumped again when I couldn’t find the right size jingle bells needed for his costume, but upon checking again, I found some that will do. KW



 

4 comments:

Hallie said...

That’s a very cute elf!

Kathy said...

He IS cute, but he isn't nearly finished. Frankly, I gave up on the method suggested for making his hair. And that's the way I see patterns these days -- suggestions. I always thought I had to do it the way they said, and sometimes in this "everyone is a designer" world, my idea is just as good as the next person's.

Chris said...

Yes, do what works for you! Sometimes I think that coming from the '50s and '60s (where we thought everything needed to be perfect and were taught that by perfectionist mothers) that we've been handicapped. I think I'm starting to overcome that. What a relief!!

Kathy said...

Chris, you are so right. It's difficult to overcome the stigma of constant critique. It hampers one's efforts at the outset. We should look for the good of it, not the flaws.