Friday, March 11, 2022

RECYCLING FABRIC

Our mail wasn’t delivered yesterday. Late in the afternoon, a couple of USPS vehicles traveled through the neighborhood, but they didn’t deliver regular mail. We weren’t expecting anything, so I suppose it doesn’t matter. It’s just unusual – or is it?

We went to Albertsons this morning where I refused to pay the asking price for salad greens. The price disparity between store brands and manufacturers’ brands grows wider. In this troubled world, I’m afraid we’re in for it. I’m well aware that there are other places to shop, and we might do that. As I explained to my brother, it would be a long time before we’d starve, but I’m thinking we should augment our provisions anyway.

So – to return to the sewing room, I prepared Mike’s old shirt for recycling, removing the buttons and then cutting off the plackets, collar, and sleeves. The fabric is well worn around the seams, so I simply used a scissors to cut the shirt apart, leaving the side seams intact. I figure the shirt will provide enough fabric for three garments. The first is a pair of overalls for an 18-inch doll, a pattern I’ve wanted to try for several years.

In the process of cutting out the overalls, my mother’s distaste for used fabric was reinforced. The fabric is warped, which alters the straight. It doesn’t quite lie flat. Some parts are more faded than others. But – that’s why I chose overalls. If they look faded and worn, it’s all to the good. My dolls are active and industrious.

I forgot to take a picture as I worked, but here’s one of Grandson Silas on the puff quilt that I made for him using 1930’s reproduction storybook fabric charm squares. His mom says he likes to look at the prints. KW



2 comments:

Chris said...

What a precious photo!! Look at him sitting up--they grow so quickly. We went to the store last night and I noticed some significant price increases. And they we gassed up tonight and it was $4.499/gallon. Yikes!!!

Kathy said...

Clint and Mike planned a trip to Death Valley months ago, and of course, they had no idea that gas prices would be so high at this time. They are going anyway.

Little Silas is pushing ahead with his skills.