Wednesday, August 30, 2023

A SUDDEN AND DRAMATIC CHANGE IN THE WEATHER

Well, that’s that! Summer is over. Monday the 28th was the last really hot day. Tuesday, a storm rolled in, bringing thunder, lightning, wind, and rain. Now we expect our highs at altitude to drop into the 60s and 70s, but right now it’s 55.  

Well, it’s fine with me. The summer has been trying. The after-harvest atmosphere here is peaceful. It’s time to ponder our harvest blessings – and to be grateful that we have them.

The last hot day of summer . . .

I see that The Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts (in a tone of some authority) that the Intermountain Pacific Northwest will have more snow than usual, beginning mid-November. I wish winter wouldn’t come quite so soon, but we must protect the farmhouse. We can’t exactly wait and see. The fact that we can no longer expect to have a “farmhouse” Christmas speaks to the weather change we have experienced over the last five years.




. . . and the same scene today at 57 degrees.

Mike and I packed up a few things and went into town yesterday (Tuesday, Aug. 29). It was a busy afternoon for us as we ran errands and replenished supplies. This morning, we packed up for another stay at the farmhouse and drove to Orofino in steady rain. Construction on the highway at the bridge held us up for ten minutes or so, and I was sorry we had to go into Orofino, but the library there was holding a book for Mike. Fortunately, we were not stopped on the way out of town.

Arriving at the house, we estimated the electricity had been off at least seven hours in our absence. “Rats!” said Mike, who is anxious to give his new generator a try. We expect it to run the fridge and the TV set, but he missed this opportunity to give it a real try.

I would guess the outage related either to lightning strikes or to the “Hospital Fire” in Orofino. A fire started at the State Hospital and burned over the hill toward Wixson Heights. Firefighters were able to stop it at 50 acres or so, and of course, the cool weather and rain were factors.

Dove season opens Friday, and Mike is as ready as he’ll ever be. I have pulled clay pigeons for his shotgun practice. As for the doves, though, we saw quite a number as we drove in today, but a late August cool spell often triggers their disappearance.

“We’ll be sleeping under a blanket tonight,” says Mike. And I add that we will even turn it on early to warm the bed. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

I'm loving this weather!!! Bring on fall! So cool here last night that I turned on our gas fireplace and sat on the hearth to read for a while. Smile!!

That fire in Orofino was something. I wonder if we know any of the people who lost their homes? A friend asked me that question and I told her probably not as I've not lived there in over fifty (FIFTY?!) years.

Kathy said...

Hi Chris!
It brought me up short to think that I remember when those houses were built -- at least the first development. I don't know if others have been added. Anyway, it's been 60 years!

Yes, it will always be our hometown, but it's just not the same. In fact, construction of the dam changed it and it was never the same again. Okay -- so it would have changed anyway with the passing of those we love.