Tuesday, August 8, 2023

HARVEST 2023

Son Yancey and granddaughter Emmy left last Tuesday morning (Aug. 1), after spending the weekend with us. They left rather early because Emmy wanted to have breakfast at Waffles & More in Lewiston. Hmmm. We aren’t “eater-outers”, and I don’t think I’ve been to Waffles and More in five years.

Then Mike and I loaded the Jeep and headed to town. In the course of events, we decided to clean out the shop loft and garage. It needed to be done. I also cleared some things out of my little shed. Mike made a trip to the landfill and one to the thrift store. It was three days of hard work. (Mike works harder than I do and doesn’t rest till the job is done.)

And of course, the blog muse has been on vacation, but I think she’s back.

Today, we drove back to the farm in the big ol’ Dodge pick-up to find harvest in full swing on our place. I’m so glad we didn’t miss it. I love to stand on the porch or out in the yard and take pictures while the big combines and hopper crawl over the fields. My photos vary little from year to year, but that’s okay. The photos posted here were taken today.


The electricity was off again for a considerable length of time during the week we were away. This has happened frequently this summer. One recent evening, Mike called a couple of neighbors to be sure it was a general outage. “Oh, yes, it’s off,” they said, “but we have a generator.”

“We have to get a generator,” said Mike, so he ordered one, and today he has been testing it. He is pleased. It will run the refrigerator and the TV set, and it will charge our devices.


Well, you know, it’s just one of those ways in which we’ve been spoiled by progress. An evening by the light of a kerosene lantern is a retro experience, but on the other hand, we hardly know what to do with ourselves if our devices aren’t running. Once we start with the electronic devices, we can’t do without them.

And now, it’s suppertime, and the harvesters have just finished the North Forty (the last field), and Harvest 2023 is officially over at our farm. KW


2 comments:

Chuck said...

Great pictures! I'm glad you got to. see them finish. It doesn't take long these days. I remember harvesting with a 5 foot combine.

Kathy said...

The equipment has changed so much in our lifetime, hasn't it? Times have changed, and sometimes I miss the way it was.