Thursday, August 17, 2023

EXCESSIVE HEAT

It was cooler last week with highs in the 80s. The breeze was heavenly, and I thought perhaps the hottest days were behind us. But no! Here we are in the midst of “excessive heat.” And it IS excessive, too. It reached 100 here at the farm on Tuesday, 97 on Wednesday, and today it hit 98. The thermometer still registers in the low 80s at midnight, and by 7:00 a.m., it’s already 70. Mike gets up early and puts a box fan in one of the east dormer windows to pull in as much cool air as possible.

A load of wood for town

My friend Chris and I were born in the same non-air-conditioned hospital during the same hot August of a certain year – she early in the month and I three weeks later. Our parents had tales to tell. As I recall the story, Chris’ dad went out and bought a fan to cool his laboring wife. (What! The hospital couldn’t even provide a fan for her?) I don’t know if someone sent him on this errand or if it was his own idea.

Twenty-four days later as I was about to be born, my dad drove past the hospital and over the bridge.

“Where are you going,” Mother demanded to know.

Daddy replied that it was such a lovely warm evening that he thought they should go for a drive. After all, the baby wouldn’t be born for hours.

“You turn right around and take me back to the hospital,” Mother said.

Speaking with forked tongue
A beautiful home in apple tree

Coming back to the present, Mike has allowed Bess to sleep on the porch instead of putting her in the woodshed, and just as we were retiring last night, she began to bark frantically. We never know what Bess’ alarms mean. Is it an animal intruder or did she just happen to notice the solar lights or is she freaked out by the 4-wheeler? It’s wise to check, so Mike went out to see what the trouble was. I could hear him speaking to Bess in calming tones and insisting she come away. She had indeed discovered a rattlesnake near the kitchen porch.

I don’t speak Parseltongue. Do you? KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

I don't know how it came about that Dad brought in the fan, but I think I remember hearing it was one from their house. The nurses brought up plates of ice cubes for the fan to blow across to help cool mom. I was a breech baby and took my sweet time to come. I think I decided it was cooler inside mom--word had it that it was 109 the day of the night I was born. And after four other children, I'm sure your mom knew where she needed to be and when!

Kathy said...

I just find it interesting that the hospital couldn't provide a fan.We have come to expect these comforts.

Mother knew that her baby could come quickly, and she was taking no chances.