Thursday, August 10, 2023

MY BEST GARDEN EVER

BLTs and strawberry shortcake coming up. Yellow pear tomatoes, anyone?

During the week that Mike and I were in town, I worried about the raised bed gardens at the farm. I feared that the lack of water on those hot days would take its toll on my strawberries, summer squash, small sugar pumpkin, and tomatoes, but actually, they survived quite well. 

I quickly watered and then began picking the produce: a quart of strawberries, a dozen yellow pear tomatoes, six “Early Girl” tomatoes, and a zucchini. I pick more tomatoes and strawberries every day, though not so much, of course. 

And frankly, I had already picked enough earlier in the season to call my gardens a success. And to what do I owe this success? I wish I knew. 



  • Perhaps it was the better seed (ordered from Burpee). 
  • Maybe it's because I started the summer squash and pumpkin in my kitchen window. 
  • Is it the potting soil we tilled into the beds? 
  • Maybe it was the fertilizer – Alaska by Pennington for the vegetables and a little 10-10-10 for the strawberries. 
  • Maybe the tomatoes are especially happy because of the ground eggshells I sprinkled into the hole. 
  • Maybe it’s just this year’s spring/summer atmosphere.

And since the beds were happy in my absence, I wonder if I’ve actually over-watered them – killed them with kindness, as it were. I just don’t know. It’s just good that we’re enjoying the fruits of our labors. KW


5 comments:

Chuck said...

Great pickings! I attribute your success to your tender care and the mercies of heaven. May you always have success with your gardening. All of your efforts have paid off! Great job.

Kathy said...

I think we have to give the mercies of heaven a lot of credit.

By the way, I decided to recheck the zucchini plant this afternoon, remember how the squash like to hide under the leaves. Sure enough! I lifted a big leaf and found a big squash. It will probably make enough for two batches of zucchini bread. Oh, the riches!

Chris said...

Oh, those sneaky zucchini! We're having a great year for them, too, after a sad year last year. Your other harvest looks wonderful, too!

Hallie said...

My strawberries gave up awhile ago. I had some volunteer cherry tomatoes that I’m letting grow so I took the netting off to make room. If I’ve had more strawberries, someone else got to them first.

Kathy said...

I was with you when you bought your strawberry plants at Swanson's Nursery in Seattle. I'm sorry you didn't get more berries for whatever reason.

I wonder if you will eat the cherry tomatoes. I bet Silas will. I can hear him now -- "Mm--mmm--mmmmm! Matoes!" Such a toddler gourmet!