Wednesday, August 23, 2023

I CAN, BUT DO I WANT TO?

My friend Chris messaged to say that she had come upon a ponderable statement: In considering a new project, perhaps the question is not “can I do it” but “do I want to do it.” I think she recalled that I have started a few projects only to find that I really didn’t want to do them. So, I think Chris is right that one has to ponder if he wants to do a specific project, and the sooner this is determined in the process, the better. (I have found this to be true of cooking as well.)

I was telling Chris that I have always wanted to make dolls, but I have no reason to do it. I have made several in the past, and the last two are on a shelf in the storage shed. I have a collection of cloth doll patterns, and maybe that’s just as far as it goes. (I AM a collector of patterns, and if this is a vice, there are worse ones.)

As for using vintage patterns, after so many years, some required materials are no longer available. For instance, patterns for sock dolls available mid-century called for a man’s cotton work sock such as my dad wore. Today, those are nowhere to be found. Socks have changed. I bought a pair and started a doll, but as I stuffed the head, which is the toe of the sock, the sock stretched – and stretched – and stretched.

Well, I’m still pondering whether I want to make dolls. It’s not the doll itself but the creative process that interests me.

And then – the kids have changed. I know -- we used to say that kids were the same in every generation, but I’m not so sure now. For better or worse, they are born to this digital world, and issues come to them that I never had to contend with as a child and wouldn’t want to now. 




And for the most part, I think kids today are largely disinterested in vintage toys. Who wants to look at ViewMaster slides when he can watch a video on mom’s phone? I say this, but look at this picture of Silas and his dad with his trains and train track, a vintage find at a thrift store. And he sings, “I—been—workin’—on–the—railroad . . .” KW

7 comments:

Becky said...

I think if you want to make dolls you should make them. You could donate to a batter women's shelter where little girls sometimes have to leave with the clothes on their backs. Or maybe donate to the hospital. Give a little girl something to cuddle with while she is going through her trials. I'm sure there are other ideas. But the most important thing is if that's what you want to do then do it!!
And I don't know about children not wanting to play with vintage toys. My grandchildren did. I think partly because they are different than what's out there in this world now. More simple.

Kathy said...

Those are good ideas about the dolls. Maybe I'll see what community agencies have to offer.

I think it's possible that interest in vintage toys depends on the child's age. Or, maybe it just depends on the child. We hosted grandchildren some years ago, and they took one look at the toys here and went out to the motor home and got their own. Certainly Silas likes Cars and Trucks and Things that Go.

Kathy said...

Another note on the "I-can-but-do-I-want-to" theme: When I retired, I mentioned to sister Harriet (Becky's mom) that I was thinking of sewing. "Yes, I don't want to," she said. She went on to say that she had never enjoyed sewing but did it to save money on clothes. We used to sew for that reason, but these days, I don't know if we can make apparel sewing pay. We do it for other reasons. It's a creative endeavor.

Becky said...

Interesting. I never knew Mom didn't like to sew. And yes, she made most all my clothes when I was young. But I didn't know any different. Most children's clothes were hand made then. But I do remember when there came a point and time when I wanted store bought clothes. And I eventually got them. Probably because Mom didn't like to sew. 😆
And I never had an interest in sewing so I never learned. Now I kind of wish I would have. At least learned how to run a sewing machine.....

Becky said...

Yes. I think age has alot to do with it on vintage toys.

Hallie said...

Mom: I hadn’t thought of the train as a vintage toy. Haha The tracks are available at IKEA, but I guess it’s vintage in the sense that it is an age-old design. Some of the Thomas the Train engines have a button and a series of sayings, but only a couple of them still have life. We are working to find the right kind of battery to revive the others.

Becky: I recently got a sewing machine and I use it with the instruction manual by my side. I don’t make much, but I love that I can do a simple alteration and make something how I want.

Chris said...

I think the key is doing what we want in the crafty department. I can remember thinking I shouldn't but something because I could make it, but when I realized I would have to buy all the material *to* make it, I realized buying it would be okay--unless I really *wanted* to make it. I love to sew, but I realize now that I think Mom sewed because she thought it was the thing to do. I'm not sure she ever really enjoyed it like I always have. I think that generation of women were expected to sew for their daughters, especially as it was a money saving thing to do.

And Hallie, I agree with your comment on the train--I don't think of it was vintage as they are still readily available. Our little guys have enjoyed ours for over forty years, and the next generation probably will, too. I can still hear Cameron say, "Toot toot."