Tuesday, February 27, 2024

ANOTHER RIOT AT THE PRISON

 

Milo at Thanksgiving, 2014 -- taken at the farmhouse

I never thought I would write about prison life. Why would I? It has nothing to do with me, does it? Unfortunately, it does. Reform of the justice / corrections / mental health system is suddenly my calling. It’s what I call a “noble life-motive.”

Today’s Lewiston Tribune carries an article from the Idaho Statesman about another riot at the Idaho State Correction Center (ISCC). The last paragraph mentions that Milo was killed there, which seems to suggest his murder relates to gang activity. In other words, he was targeted. Until the investigative report is available, we won’t know. Maybe we’ll never know, but we have fertile imaginations.

Incarcerated at ISCC at Kuna, Milo was placed in maximum security for trying to control when he swallowed his medication. It’s rapidly becoming an old story. I’m tired of it. Sure – he should have known better, but Milo’s mental make-up was such that he didn’t think in terms of consequences. He was still a non-violent DUI offender, not even a drug offender. 

Placed on G Block with hardcore felons, Milo became an observer of illicit activities. He was in over his head. He thought if he just kept his mouth shut, he would be all right. He wasn't.

I’m just his mother, but personally, I feel he should never have been sent to prison. Surely we can come up with better consequences for DUI offenders. During his sentencing hearing on July 26, 2023, Milo volunteered to permanently relinquish his vehicle and his driving privileges, but the judge said that though this would solve the problem, it was too "harsh" and "crazy." Then he sentenced Milo to a minimum of two years in prison where he was killed four months later. Seems harsher than never driving again to me. KW

No comments: