Thursday, February 15, 2024

BELATED VALENTINE GREETINGS

I have a modest collection of post cards gathered from both of my parents, including greetings for birthday, Christmas, New Year, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, and Thanksgiving, but only this one valentine. Interesting.

As we finished the potato soup last week, Mike was not yet ready for solid food. I had one more potato in the pantry and a head of broccoli, so I decided to try another homemade soup. I read recipes and gained courage to make broccoli soup from scratch after the manner of the old-fashioned potato soup.

I boiled the diced potato, a little carrot and onion, with the broccoli in a quart of chicken broth seasoned with pepper and ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon. Before serving, I liquified the soup with a hand blender so that Mike wouldn’t have to chew it. Then I added a cup of diced ham, a half cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and two cups of whole milk. We thought it was delicious.

I also made more applesauce.

Son Murray visited on Super Bowl Sunday and brought solid food – barbecued ribs, scalloped potatoes, and kale salad. Mike wasn’t going to miss this feast. This was the first solid food he had eaten in ten days, and he was ready for it! We are now back on our usual diet, though his tongue hasn’t entirely healed.

As we watched the game, Murray’s son Doug sent photos of the meal he prepared for himself – a pepperoni and spinach pizza and buffalo wings. There’s a balanced diet for you! Doug, our eldest grandson, lives in Boston and will start law school in the fall.

And here’s a photo of our youngest grandchild, Silas, enjoying lunch with “Bunny.” Silas and Bunny love tasty, nutritious food.

Publicity continues with regard to Milo’s tragic passing. We don't have to plead with the media for coverage. They call us.  In fact, they thank us! Hallie was interviewed by Channel 7 Boise last Friday (Feb. 9). The segment has yet to air. KHQ Spokane is scheduled to interview Mike and me on Monday (Feb. 19) here at the town house. I'm not really looking forward to it. It's a complicated topic. KW

4 comments:

Becky said...

That is an interesting postcard. Continued Love and prayers for all of you.

Chris said...

Beautiful for strange postcard!!

Chris said...

Um, that was supposed to say but, not for. :-)

Kathy said...

Thanks, Becky.

And Chris, it's just amazing what my fingers type when I'm not looking! Or what they leave out. Hang in there! I agree with your comment on the postcard valentine.