Tuesday, February 6, 2024

WHO DID IT HAPPEN TO?

“Happier far is the one who leaves than the one who stays behind,” my mother would say from time to time. It's a "glittering generality." Today, so many people leave for unpleasant reasons, and those who stay behind worry.

After Mother’s first husband, Fairly Walrath, was killed in a woods accident in 1945, her brother, our Uncle Porkie, asked her, “Now, who did that happen to – him or you?” With son Milo's passing, I ask myself the same question. Milo is gone – no doubt about it, but we are left to deal with the sordid facts, the injustice, the grief, and the business, and it will be ongoing for quite some time. Every day we deal with it in some form or other. So, I do think it happened to us, and we wish Milo godspeed. 

People say, “It’s just unnatural to bury your child.” That’s true, of course, but to me it’s entirely beside the point. Milo was a victim of homicide while in the custody of the State. This just overwhelms any other consideration. And justice is elusive. 

“I can’t believe someone would kill Milo,” said one of his high school classmates, an Albertson's employee. I can’t believe it either.

In need of a quiet, easy project to keep my hands busy, I went out to my shed and retrieved the gray striped afghan in progress that I stored last spring. Stopping and starting causes loss of momentum. I suffered setbacks through mistakes as I began to work on it, but I will soon finish it if I don't lay it aside again. And against my better judgment, I started a corner-to-corner afghan in the same crochet stitch (the wattle) using the same weight yarn and crochet hook. I try not to mix crochet projects of varying yarn / thread weight because it messes with my gauge. KW

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. So true. I called the gray and striped scrap afghan finished this afternoon. It won't take long to finish the C2C. Then I don't know what I'll do. I have a pansy afghan kit that I've had for 25 years, but it's on the farm. Oh well - never fear. Something will turn up.