Friday, February 9, 2024

SOFT DIETS


SOLID FOOD

During my growing up years (and no, it was not the dark ages), I accompanied my mother to visit elderly relatives in nursing homes. If we were there during mealtime, I would observe the food on the tray – what was called a soft diet. I remember a slice of white bread in a waxed paper sleeve, a dish with a couple of peach slices, mashed potatoes, peas and soggy carrots, a thin slice of meat covered in gravy, and vanilla pudding for dessert, all in small portions. Many people needed that bland, unappealing diet. Those who didn’t wished for better food.

Now that Mike and I are older, I often think of those nursing home meals. We eat pretty much as we always have – until this week, that is. The sore on Mike’s tongue, which commenced after he had dental work, is slow to improve, and he can barely chew or swallow. A soft diet quickly became a liquid diet, and even that is a challenge for him. It's difficult to get enough nutrition into him to support his activities. Thinking of meals to fix is a challenge.

Potato soup was suggested. I cubed two russet potatoes and cooked them with diced onion and celery in chicken broth to cover. Once the potatoes were soft, I mashed this concoction with a potato masher. Then for more body and flavor, I added a can of cream of chicken soup and a cup of diced ham. We thought the result was delicious. It made enough for two suppers and a lunch. (This soup, a favorite of mine, was basically my mother’s method except she used water instead of the chicken soups.)

Our next supper was canned vegetarian vegetable soup. I pureed the contents of the cans with an immersion blender before I added the water. This, too, was a delicious meal – just not much to it.

Last night’s supper was pureed chunky vegetable beef. It was tasty and filling. Either that or my stomach has shrunk.

I eat what I fix for Mike because I don’t want to make two meals. We’re both hungry and wishing for solid food. I might buy a couple of frozen dinners for myself. 

In case you’re wondering, Mike saw his doctor yesterday. A topical steroid product was prescribed. KW

1 comment:

M/W said...

Kathy has become an expert at innovative, nutritious soft food.