Monday, April 22, 2019

BONANZA BOX OF SWIMSUIT FABRIC


I have finished a muumuu for Hazel. I think a week elapsed from the time I cut it out until the final seam was sewn, but hey – for me, that’s pretty good. The next dress is cut out and the machine ready to stitch.

Long ago, I decided I’d rather spend for what I really want than buy a grab bag, but sometimes I can’t help myself. I don’t have a variety of knits in my collection, so when an online business, “The FabricFairy,” offered a “bonanza box” of flawed swimsuit fabric for $25, I found myself pulling out my credit card and going for it. I ordered the 16th, and it was delivered today -- 12 cuts stuffed into a “priority mail” box.

I didn’t measure the cuts, but I assure you, it’s plenty of fabric – probably 100 doll swimsuits. Swimsuit knits are expensive these days, so I’m thinking if I don’t use more than the three or four cuts that I love, it was still a good value, plus black always comes in handy. I can easily work around the flaws, but anyway, Hazel, Molly, Maryellen, Shirley Anne, Esmee, and Lexy won’t care. (Haven’t heard from Elizabeth lately. She may be hiding under a bed.)

So, what else can you make with spandex besides swimsuits? Leggings? Shirts? Shorts? Skirts and sarongs? I’m thinking the fabric would have a nice drape. Would a dress out of spandex be strange?

REAL TIME UPDATE:
The first daffodils have passed and the ornamental apple tree has dropped most all its blossoms. Looks like the yarrow will bloom soon, and I do hope some of them will have color.

Mike and I look forward to a trip to the farm tomorrow. The 4-wheeler is loaded on the bed of the Silverado. Wish us luck . . . KW


4 comments:

Chris said...

The muumuu is beautiful!! You placed the fabric perfectly to show it off. And the swimsuit fabric? You hit the bonanza there! Yes, I think all your ideas will work! Fun, fun, fun!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. I had read that big prints can work for dolls if you're careful with placement. I thought it worked well.

Yes, there's a lot of fun in that box of knits. This afternoon I washed all the yardage -- and then I researched instructions. I did fine with the washing - cold water and Woolite -- but they can't be dried. So, I was busy finding enough spots to hang them. I was so pleased, though, that the badly stained piece came clean.

Becky said...

I love the muumuu!!! I'm sure Hazel will too!!

Chuck said...

You mentioned taking the 4-wheeler to the farm, but did not mention the lawn mower. Is it to go, too?