Wednesday, April 3, 2019

TACKLING ANOTHER BUFFALO




Original bodice -- in bad shape
Years ago, my friend Connie asked me to make a pair of underpants for a “rescue” doll she had acquired. So, the old doll came home with me. The tag inside her dress said “Vogue,” and that was a clue to her “lineage.” A quick online search revealed that she is an “Angel Baby” made by The Vogue Doll Company in the mid-1960s. In my stash of baby doll clothes patterns of the same vintage, I found one just right for her. I made the panties and returned the doll to Connie, but I kept the dress. The velvet skirt and “straps” were okay, but the white fabric of the bodice was rotten. That happens to fabric, you know. And how many years since 1965? We shall not speak of it.

I really wanted to re-make the little dress, but I also dreaded the task of drafting a new bodice. I prefer to work with patterns that someone else has drafted. The months became years as I cogitated on the matter. I could make her a new dress, of course, but I just thought it would be so nice to re-make her original outfit. I just wasn't sure I could accomplish my vision.

During the winter months, I made tiny clothes for the doll that lives in the Philippines, and then I needed a new project. And something said, “NOW is the time to re-make that little dress for Angel Baby.”

Long story short, I did it, and I’m so proud of myself! Originally, the seams had been trimmed closely, which made re-using the velvet difficult. Using a lightweight white fabric from my stash, I cut a lining for the bodice so as to have a neatly finished neck edge. Then, because of the lack of seam allowance, I tacked the velvet overlay to the bodice by hand. I worked slowly, taking the time to baste seams, and I’m pleased with the way it came together. I even tacked her original red flower to the bodice! KW
Finished re-make of the original "Angel Baby" dress

5 comments:

Chuck said...

Your work is beautiful. You should do it as a business and get something more than satisfaction and praise for your work.

Kathy said...

Thanks so much, Chuck. As Mike says, "Something you like to do can become tedious when it's something you have to do." If I please myself and make a few little girls happy, that's enough.

Hallie said...

A great success!

Chris said...

You did it!! It's beautiful. You have every right to be pleased. Have you given it back to Connie? What a happy surprise! And BOOM!! Another buffalo slain! Yay!

Kathy said...

Hi Chris!
Yes, I took it to Connie yesterday, and she was as pleased as I. However, she says I didn't make the panties, so I must do that.

The doll's eyelashes are worn off, her old-fashioned hair was clipped, and her vinyl has brown spots, but Connie said that when she looks at the doll it takes her back and makes her happy. And that's what it's all about.