Tuesday, April 30, 2019

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED

Little Canyon with snow on the distant mountain



Arriving at the farm property yesterday morning (Monday, April 29), we discovered that one of the pines from the burned stand at the bottom of the lane had broken in the wind and was lying in the road. Once we had unpacked the Dakota, Mike proceeded to cut it up and pile it for burning. It was an unexpected chore, which meant he didn’t finish his to-do list.

The day was rather chilly – 42 when we arrived and 51 around noon. The breeze made it seem even cooler.

Hallie's laurel
I spent most of my time emptying boxes in the dining room – recipes and recipe books, two boxes of “miscellaneous counter stuff,” and a box of towels. Before lunch, I was feeling the chill of the house, so I went outside to work in the sun. I daydreamed over the raised beds, imagining them filled with delicious produce from vintage seeds. Well, I’ve ordered the seeds, so we’ll see. The strawberry bed needs attention soon. I discovered that both rhubarb plants are alive and well, and they, too, need attention. Only one of Hallie’s laurel trees wintered over, but I’m not sure it will pull through a hot summer. It was an experimental project that happened at a time when I couldn’t give them as much attention as they deserved. Even so, I think laurels probably prefer the “wet side.”

Bess is six today.
American coot on the pond
Mike and I ate our light lunch on the front porch steps, allowing Bess some extra bites since it was her birthday. He went on with his outdoor chores while I vacuumed Hallie’s room and made her bed. I wonder if the three of us could sleep in the one bed because right now it’s all I have. Mike called Big Mike the Contractor, and he said the shower door in the master bath still has to be caulked, and he’s awaiting a part so that he can hang the master bedroom closet doors. It can’t happen fast enough to suit me.
 
We loaded our trash and left the place about 2:30 in order to make it to the transfer station in Orofino before closing. I also brought a load of laundry to town, mostly kitchen towels. KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Happy birthday, Bessie Boo!

Chris said...

The farm is looking good! Soon you will be moving in again and enjoying the beauty of each day. We actually had a few snowflakes here this week!! Spring is not exactly racing in...