Tuesday, April 23, 2019

FARM REPORT – NOTHING BAD HAPPENED


You can just make out the snow on the distant mountain.
It seemed to take forever to get out of town this morning. First. we forgot the gizmo necessary to play my iPod through the old pick-up radio. (Yes, I know -- the rest of you moved beyond the iPod six years ago, but I still love mine, and it works just fine with the old player technology.) So anyway, we made a right turn and went back to the house for the gizmo. Next, we stopped for gas at a Lewiston station where we use our Albertson’s reward points. We thought we would then be on our way, but we had to detour around the major intersection overhaul at the bottom of 21st Street.

Crown Imperials and daffodils at front porch
Even with these delays, we arrived at the farm at 9:00. The snow is gone, and we had no difficulty traversing the culvert and driving up the lane. We unloaded the 4-wheeler and blade, and then we entered the house to de-winterize the plumbing. In January, we had the plumbing professionally winterized and anti-freeze pumped into the pipes, so it was a matter of reversing the process and then turning on faucets to flush the system. We also drained the refrigerator hose and turned it on.

Daffodils in the grove -- more every year
Well, that took an hour, and that’s what we went to do. We’ll have to decide where we'll start as we move in, but today we just didn’t want to get into it. We gathered up some of the trash on the porch and in the yard. And after that we turned the water off and drove back to town, making a stop at the landfill. 

I like it!

It was delightful to be there even for that short time. I took a minute to check this mug (Pfaltzgraff’s “Pistoulet”) against both the wall paper and the cupboards. I like it!



Yard Report:
What should I plant in the raised beds?
I was delighted to see the daffodils in bloom. It’s disheartening that the yard is totally riddled with rodent activity. I will be on that soon! The strawberry bed needs attention, but I believe the plants will be all right. One rhubarb plant was killed by the rodents, but the other is fine. Perhaps I’ll just buy another rhubarb plant and set it in the compound. The lilac bushes were looking tough by summer’s end last year, but they are leafing out.

A nice clump of daffodils
We’ll have to plant something in the rustic raised beds. Mike is going to set up a drip system for me. Oh! And while I didn’t check the compost barrel, I’m fairly certain we have compost there.

And yes, the lawn needs to be mowed. The lawnmower is stored in the town garage, so we'll trailer it next trip. KW
 

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I'm so glad that things look good on the farm! The daffodils are so pretty.

I went for a long run yesterday and noticed dogwoods like ours already in bloom. Ours faces east and gets morning sun, but is shaded for much of the hotter western exposure, which I think must be the reason for the delay. I spread a little fertilizer a few days ago, which always makes me a little nervous. We shall see!

Chris said...

Oh, I love the mug with the wallpaper and the cabinets!!! Can't wait to see if you get the rest of the dishes. The daffodils are beautiful and so cheery and welcoming. Our Aspen trees have just popped and there's green!! Yay for spring!