Sunday, June 2, 2019

OFFICIAL OPENING OF RATTLER SEASON, 2019


As we were walking down the lane this afternoon – on that first steep pitch – Bess took interest in something in the grass. The rattlesnakes like to hang out in that vicinity, so Mike called her back, and yes, we did indeed discover a rattlesnake at the edge of the road. It was coiled and it rattled a bit – rather pathetically, I thought.

We continued our walk, and as we were returning up the pitch with Bess in the lead, she was once again wary at the snake spot. We thought she was just checking because ordinarily the snakes waste no time in moving on after confrontation, but I suggested Mike hurry ahead – just in case. Sure enough, the snake was still there. Oddly, it did not rattle, nor was it really coiled. However, we didn’t pester it.

I came on to the house, got the camera, and found the rattler in the same spot. Now, don’t lecture me because I wasn’t nearly as close to the snake as the photo makes it look.


This last photo indicates the location of the snake – in that clump of grass. And I’ll tell you what else is disturbing – as I was looking around at that spot, I noticed fresh-looking badger holes. And of course, the whole yard is Rodent City, complete with an awesome infrastructure of crisscrossing boulevards and avenues. We also caught the scent of skunk this morning. KW 

7 comments:

Chuck said...

Oh, the hazards of farm life. You may have to get some big guns (or bombs) to get rid of the nasty invaders.

Hallie said...

In addition to earthworms and mice, badgers eat frogs. Hmmmm. How do you know for sure it's a badger hole?

Kathy said...

We went and checked those holes and found they went nowhere. We think they were Primo holes.

Hallie said...

Ha ha! Primo is the CUTEST little badger. Let's keep him.

Kathy said...

Okay!

Chris said...

Yikes!! Every year when you mention the rattlers I think how brave you are. I'm certain I'd never leave the house.

Kathy said...

Hi Chris! I don't like snakes either, but they are a fact of life here. If I'm careful -- stay out of tall grass, watch where I step -- I'll be fine. Also, the time to watch for them is when it's hot, and I don't much care to be out in the heat. Frankly, the ticks curtail my activities more than the snakes.