Thursday, June 20, 2019

SENIOR GAMES



The lavender is in bloom and our drought-tolerant garden is a riot of color. We laugh that it only took 15 years for this to happen. We were probably too conservative in our planting, but on the other hand, a mature landscape is a treasure. 
Mike and I came back to town Friday so that he could participate in the senior games this week. He enrolled in a number of events: pistol shooting, skeet, cycling, and swimming. He has been busy practicing for this event and the other, but somehow for me, there just hasn’t been a lot to write about. The muse is absent. I did manage to set up my embroidery machine and make a lace “heart pocket,” but then I forgot to take a picture of it before mailing it off.

From the Peola area looking north
The games officially began yesterday (Wednesday, June 19). Mike shot at the pistol range yesterday morning and officially logged his score. Participants are categorized by age, so we don’t know yet how he ranked.

Cycling was last night at 5:30. Seven cyclists showed up for the 5K race and six of them stayed on to ride the 10K -- a woefully poor showing. Mike is a strong rider, so it was amusing that the organizer, in setting up the 5K race, assigned two male riders out front and put Mike behind with the four women. Mike was first on the first lap and second as the race finished. “I’m sorry,” said the organizer; “I vastly underestimated you!” Discussion ensued over the prowess of the old guy. (He was the oldest rider there and lost only to the guy in the category just younger than his own.)

Mike finishing the 10K
The 10K was run as a time trial with staggered starts based on the 5K times. Mike again placed second, but the good news is that he won his age group and was awarded two medals. (You don’t get much more than bragging rights here.) His times were 11.43 for the 5K and 22.58 for the 10K. Oh! And I should mention that the wind was gusting at 20 mph, making the ride much more challenging.
This year's free t-shirt & 2 medals
Today (Thursday) he has no events. Tomorrow he swims. And Saturday he shoots skeet. Meanwhile, our crates are gradually filling with the supplies we need for the farm.

I thought it was summer for sure the beginning of the week, but yesterday it turned cooler with a lot of wind, and today it’s cooler yet. It’s just a reminder that this really is the Great Northwest. Don’t forget your sweater. I did take the heavy blanket off the bed, and I think we’ve been fine with a lighter one. KW

5 comments:

Hallie said...

The colors in your yard are beautiful! I've been enjoying admiring everything in bloom on my walks with Primo. It's true that a mature landscape is a treasure. There just isn't any way to cheat time and have everything be grown and lovely in a snap. I suppose planting things is a way to leave a legacy.

Oh, that muse will return. Perhaps even muses need snoozes.

Chuck said...

I was looking at followup comments on how Mike did on Friday and Saturday at the Senior Games.

Kathy said...

Hallie, your comment about planting to leave a legacy reminded me of a story my mother used to tell. After Mother and family moved into the house in Orofino, Mother dug out some plants, and the previous owner, Mrs. Hopkins, complained that her son, Dickie Jim, had planted those. A legacy to one person might not be a legacy to someone else.

And Chuck, I'll ask Mike to post more detailed info on his events.

Hallie said...

Hmm...yes, I suppose that happens. Even we tore everything out and started anew. But, for every do-over there are successes like the maple tree at the farm or any number of great big 30 ft tree.

Kathy said...

Every successful planting is a win. We can't play to the future. It doesn't matter.