Thursday, June 6, 2019

SUNFLOWER SEASON


I came downstairs Monday morning (June 3), made my hot chocolate, and settled down to leisurely open and enjoy the first of the day’s email and other online messages. But when an hour or so later it came time to check the second batch, we had lost connection to the internet. I’ll spare you the frustrating details. Long story short, our satellite internet service cancelled all accounts in long-term suspension, and since we had suspended our service here last July, we were caught in that sweeping motion. We had reinstated as of May 1, but they worked from an old list without double checking. We worked with our provider for reinstatement, but we were without service for two days, and believe me, I missed it! We’ve grown accustomed to information at our fingertips, and of course, the internet is also our connection to family, friends, and activities.

It’s cold and wet today. We knew this cold front was on its way, so Mike took advantage of the warmth on Tuesday and Wednesday and rode his bike both days. While he was out, Bess and I walked to the mailbox. The pictures here were taken on those walks. The sunflowers are in bloom now, adding so much to the country vistas.

Yellow wild roses
Teakean Butte in the distance
Whereas our old dog Nellie saw herself as a member of the family and accepted me as much as Mike, Bess prefers Mike, so when we walked on Tuesday, I had to convince her to come along with me. She seemed wary until we were out on the road. Then she relaxed and explored a bit. The next day, she came with me more willingly, but a returning Mike passed us on the road, and knowing he was home, she gradually left me behind. 

I suppose the farmers are happy to have the rain for the young crops, but I don't know if the cold is so good. It's 52 degrees, and that's the predicted high for today and tomorrow with overnight lows in the high 30s. KW





4 comments:

Chuck said...

The flowers are beautiful, as is the growing grain. Lots of green and yellow.

Kathy said...

I am impressed with just how green the world is right now, a nice backdrop for the patches of yellow sunflowers -- or any other color, for that matter.

Chris said...

I do believe sunflowers are my very favorite flowers. So bright and cheery, so tall and strong. They make me smile whenever I see them.

Kathy said...

The sunflowers are still blooming. They are everything you say. In fact, some of my new dishes have sunflowers on them.