Saturday, June 8, 2019

PLANTINGS


The other day, Mike and I noticed a couple of small fir trees growing at the edge of the field behind the grove. Knowing that they had established themselves in a bad location, we decided to transplant them to the yard side of the grove. We don’t have a lot of luck with trees, but we figure we’re only out the effort if they don’t make it.

Late-blooming lilacs frame the old barn
Mike and Bess often hike the property in the afternoon. The other day, Mike found what we think are wild onions and transplanted a few to the bank behind the house. We’re thinking native plants may be the way to go for that problematic area. The sunflowers are beautiful now, and I’m contemplating how to entice them to the bank.

Awesome cloud looms
My raised beds are doing reasonably well. The spinach, beets, and lettuce have germinated and are growing, but the summer squash in the round tire is struggling. Perhaps I didn’t water it enough. At any rate, I poked a few more seeds into the soil. It’s not too late. The cherry tomato appears to be healthy and happy and has a few blossoms. The strawberries are developing, and it looks like we’ll have plenty for shortcakes. (This hardy strawberry variety produces small albeit tasty berries.)

Speaking of watering, for years I have carried water from the cistern to the raised beds in watering cans (is it a can if its plastic?), but the other day, Mike set up a much better system by means of a long hose from the cistern to the back of the house. It makes watering so much faster – and less tiring. 

It rained a lot Thursday, and we were mostly confined to the house. On Friday we noticed fresh gopher mounds in the front yard. I spend about half an hour everyday looking for holes, and I’ve gotten pretty good at finding them if I do say so myself. Still, the rodents are obviously winning the war.

Little fir tree at edge of lawn
Speaking of rodent wars, Mike suggested we put away the mousetraps that I maintain in the house (mostly the kitchen), but I said vigilance is important. Sure enough! “Snap!” – and I had a mouse in trap about 6:00 a.m. I don’t expect to win the war, but I can tell you from experience, if you don’t fight, they will advance, and it’s not a pretty picture. “But they’re so cute,” you say. Okay, they’re cute, but they are some kind of filthy, and we have to protect ourselves. KW


7 comments:

Becky said...

What are you putting in the gopher holes? I'm also having a battle with them.

Hallie said...

I really hope the transplanted trees make it. Lovely photo of the cloud--nicely framed with house and bush.

Kathy said...

Hi Becky! I'm using a product called MOTOMCO Gopher Killer. I think we got it at North 40. Over the weekend I watched a few YouTube videos. I work with a long-handled spoon, and I'm considering whether or not to purchase a bait applicator. For the price, I'm not sure it's worth it. You just have to poke around until you find a good hole -- one that your stick or handle drops right into. Getting the bait into a good deep hole is key, I think. I say that, but Gopher City continues to grow.

Hi Hallie! Yes, I hope the trees make it also. As for the photos, I was proud of them. As you know, it's the basic scene doesn't change, so in my amateur way I try to vary it artistically.

Chris said...

I agree with Hallie--such pretty pictures of the clouds. We have one gopher (or maybe a vole?) in the lower lot. So far, just the one. BUT we did recently have a mouse in the house. I think I discovered it right after its arrival and we caught it immediately, but it sure made me miss Buddy The Cat. All the other traps have remained empty. I'm not frightened of them, but I sure don't want them in my house! Daniel was here when I discovered the one in the trap and he looked carefully at it and said, "Oh, it has a cute face." I agreed but said I didn't want it in my kitchen leaving its poo around. He said he understood.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. I think we have every burrowing rodent known to mankind here. It's always been that way to some extent, but over the last year, the population of the underground city exploded. It's one of the things rodents do -- multiply.

Yes, they are cute, and I also enjoy the personification of them in stories. But they aren't clean, and we just have to be mindful of that.

Becky said...

I have been putting Juicy Fruit gum in the holes. LJ told me they have used it and it worked. I googled ways to get rid of gophers and that was one of the things listed. Last year it worked for me but this year has been more of a struggle. But I think I might have finally gotten some results. I haven't seen any activity for a couple days. I think I finally got the pieces in the hole far enough.
By the way, I LOVE the pic with the lilacs and the barn!@ :)

Kathy said...

Interesting about the gum since I found it on a list of things that don't work. Chuck says he had success with a gas bomb -- also on list. I did order the applicator. I figure this will always be a battle since the yard is surrounded by fields in cultivation.

At any rate, a pack of gum or two is a cheap fix if it works.

Maybe I'll actually sew today. We're learning about swimsuits in "Sewing with Cinnamon."