Sunday, June 23, 2019

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A WEEK MAKES!




 Meanwhile, back at the farm . . .

After a few very warm days the beginning of the week, the temps turned cooler. Did I say we were fine with a lighter blanket? Early this morning I turned on the electric blanket. They say warmer temps are on the way. I suppose so, just by dint of the fact that it will soon be July.

But hey! The garden is loving these cooler days, and it appears to have rained as well. The summer squash finally germinated, and though some of it looks a bit motley, I do hope it continues to grow. I picked speckled-leaf lettuce for lunch, and the spinach and beets are maturing for now. The cherry tomato looks great and is blooming.

The lilacs and iris are gone, and the wild roses are fading, but look at these roses we transplanted to the front of the house years ago. You might recall that I discovered a patch of these roses at Plank’s place – just happened to see them – and so we dug up a couple for our yard. They struggled for a couple of years, but this year they are rewarding us with deep pink blooms. However, I was disappointed to see that the original patch at Plank’s has been sprayed, i.e., killed. I suppose they are invasive.
 
Yesterday afternoon I picked a cup or so of strawberries from our tire bed, and we had shortcake for dessert. A friend invited us to pick his raspberry patch while he travels, so we did and brought the berries with us. Today I’m making a raspberry rhubarb pie.

As I passed Hallie’s room on my way downstairs this morning, I caught sight of something black in the south field. Stopping to investigate, I saw several black cows. They were just standing there, but by the time I put on my shoes and got out there, they were nowhere to be seen. We have not seen them again – yet – but we know they’re out there. I didn’t dream this.

I’ve been following a course on making swimsuits for dolls, and here Shirley Anne models my first practice piece. I have several more cut out and ready to stitch. KW

6 comments:

Hallie said...

The swimsuit looks great! A perfect fit.

We're having a cool weekend here. It's been overcast and rainy. I'm currently wearing flannel pajama bottoms. I'm not happy about it.

Kathy said...

LOL -- Sounds kinda funny to me: "I'm not happy about it." I will turn on the electric blanket to warm the bed, and I guess I'm not particularly happy about it, but I will appreciate the warmth. I suppose I could trade my summertime cropped pj bottoms and short-sleeved top for flannel, but then I'd probably be too warm.

Chris said...

It's been cold here and I was back to wearing my fleece pullovers for a few days. A little warmer today but still not over 70, if even that high. I love cool nights with the window open and snuggling under the covers.

Chris said...

Ack! I completely forgot to mention how adorable that little swimsuit is! It is perfect and Shirley Ann looks so cute in it. Well done!!!

Kathy said...

And it's still cool -- even cooler yet! I'm wearing an old sweatshirt that says, "University of Idaho MOM" on it.

I have to wonder how many swimsuits I need to make, but I figure they make up quickly and I must be learning something. Thanks for the compliment, Chris.

Becky said...

Also LOVE the swimsuit!! :)