Tuesday, July 14, 2020

DIFFERENT VISTAS


So far, it has been a cool summer at Gilbert. Mike complained yesterday afternoon that he was cold unless he was in the sun. I agreed. And the low this morning was 46. It was a two-blanket night.

But back in town, it’s in the 90s this afternoon, and Mike says to remind him not to complain again about how cool it is at the farm.

I’ve been picking snow peas, and it looks like we’ll have quite a crop. I picked again this morning before we left for town. The cherries are coming on now, too, but when I went to pick, they didn’t come easily. I decided to wait until later in the week.

“The service berries look ready,” Mike said as he and Bess returned from a hike to the canyon rim. “Do you want some?”
“Not today,” I said with some vehemence. I think it’s best to pick early in the day and then process the juice. I assured him that there would still be service berries later in the week. From picking the berries, to processing the juice, to actually making the jelly is a time-consuming process, and I will probably do it in two days. As Hallie puts it, making jelly is almost a two-man job. I can do it, but I have to adjust my thinking and organize the kitchen.

Bess and I walked into the neighbor’s place yesterday morning to take these pictures of the house and yard while the canola still blooms. It’s just a different perspective on the same old place. When I see that brilliant yellow, I say to myself, “You’re not in Kansas anymore, Kathy.” But the color is past its peak now.

I must give a shout out to Mike who washed all the farmhouse windows, inside and out, including screens. He also washed the front porch. It’s one of his big annual chores. KW


3 comments:

Hallie said...

Beautiful photos! It was warm here today--I wear shorts and a t-shirt even on my morning walk. It does cool off in the evening, which is good for comfortable sleep.

Chris said...

So far this summer has been about as perfect as a summer can be, weather-wise, since not much else is perfect! Ah well, hopefully this too shall pass!!

Kathy said...

I think it will pass, but I think it will leave us with some permanent changes.

It IS good to have cool evenings.