Thursday, July 16, 2020

WORK FOR SUMMER DAYS


Taken today, July 16, at farm.
Mike and I went to town Tuesday morning (July 14), and once we were there, I don’t think he ever lit. Once we had unloaded the old pick-up, he got gas and picked up a load of gravel which he spread here and there to cover thin areas.

Next on his list was to fix the GTI. You see, on our last stay in town (Monday, July 6), he decided to change the oil in the GTI, and in the process, he broke a part of the canister, which effectively stopped his work. He called the dealer in Post Falls, and they agreed to order and then send the part. So, he managed to get the car into the garage where for some reason it continued to leak oil. What a mess! With my assistance, we cleaned that up. He just had to leave it there until he had the part to fix it.

The part came in the mail on Tuesday (a week out from the order), but predictably, it was the wrong part. Phone conversations with the dealership ensued. Turns out that VW in its infinite wisdom had redesigned that canister for all models, but our GTI still had the older style canister. It would be $48 to send a new canister, the service guy said.

Our valley has no VW dealership, but we do have a service repair shop, PDQ Imports. They ordered the canister, which would be overnighted. Price: $21.

Well, that was Tuesday. Wednesday, we got up early and took Bess to the golf course to chase a ball. She loves that! In fact, she anticipated it and was awake early and begging to go. Then Mike went for a bike ride in order to beat the heat. I went to yoga in the park, and then I shopped Albertsons. By the time I got back to the house, Mike had the part for the GTI.

And about that GTI. I’m here to attest that it doesn’t roll easily. I helped Mike move it out of the garage into the gravel. And then he had it fixed in no time – and drove it into the garage.

The canola is gradually losing its blossoms.
That was Wednesday at lunch time. After taking half an hour to read the paper, Mike commenced to wash the windows, inside and out. It’s not the chore we have at the farm, but it’s still a chore. Then he grilled turkey burgers for supper. And after supper he sprayed and pulled weeds.

At Albertsons, where EVERYONE was wearing a mask, I overheard a conversation between an associate and another shopper. She explained that many products just aren’t available anywhere in the retail system because manufacturers have gone into the production of anti-bacterial products. And on the other side of the store, I overheard a stocker explain that manufacturers are producing only their most profitable products.

“It feels so good to be back here [at the farm],” Mike commented this morning, as he headed out to mow and trim the lawn. It’s 83 on the kitchen porch. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Dad probably had you rolling the car while it was in gear.

Kathy said...

He said it was in neutral, but who knows? With all the electronic elements in today's cars, it's no longer a simple matter.

M/W said...

I'm not quite that out of it, Hallie. I think it was because it had sitting for a while which flattens the bottom of the tires a bit.

Chris said...

Masks are mandated for Moscow now. I only go to the store and then I rip that mask off as soon as I get to the car. (And I have to say I'm cracking up as I read the above comments!!) LOL