Sunday, July 12, 2020

ESTIVATING


Thursday, July 9 -- evening storm


Mike, Sam, Clint
I hear that “estivating” is the fine art of enjoying the summer. In fact, I insisted that Mike should estivate on Friday. He had turned down the opportunity to join a motorcycling buddy for a ride to Dixie (near Elk City) on Friday, but I suggested he go. “You’ve been working way too hard, and I need some rest!” I told him. So, off he went for an enjoyable half-day ride. Mike, Clint, and the same buddy also rode on Saturday.

My iris, both here and in town, need to be dug and re-set. Speaking of estivating, or that which interferes with estivating I made a start on that the other day while Mike removed a width of sod from the sides of his shed foundation. Then we set some of the rhizomes along that border. However, I have decided to postpone this activity for a couple of weeks because I don’t think the iris are dormant yet.

But on some level, summer seems still to elude us. It clouded up and rained again Thursday evening. And it looks as if another week with temps in the 70s is before us.

My snow peas look healthy, and yesterday (July 11), I picked some for supper. I didn’t find them especially tasty, so perhaps I need to improve my cooking method. 




 
And the rhubarb I fertilized last week – well, it took off! I pulled 2 ½ quarts and used a couple of cups to make a country rhubarb crostata. 



 


We have some lovely hollyhocks springing up here and there, and we welcome those, except that this one insists on growing near the water spigot and will have to be cut back as soon as the blooms are gone.




Mother Robin and chick (second chick behind leaf)
Mrs. Robin appears to have two live births in the nest, but two of the eggs must be non-vital. We creep up to peek in the nest when she takes a break from her setting. We’re concerned for the chicks, but she continues to do her best for them. Mike observed the male feeding her a worm the other day.

As I awoke this morning at 5:30, I felt that something in this world had changed. It was mostly quiet – very little bird activity. It’s almost eerie. Last night I had six hummingbirds at the feeders, but today very little activity. Do birds leave in the summer?

As I walked around the pond with Bess the other day, the American coot came out of the cattails to play in the water. Mike thought he had left, but no – he’s still there. KW


3 comments:

Chuck said...

Beautiful pictures. You do so great at getting good shots.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chuck. It's the same old view, so I try to keep it interesting.

Chris said...

Well done getting Mike to go have some fun. Don't forget to do it, too!