Sunday, July 26, 2020

SUMMER DAYS


Ripening grain at Gilbert, Idaho. The field to the left of center is on Central Ridge.


Friday afternoon (July 24), the wind came up. The sun was warm, as we expect in summer, but the breeze was cool. In fact, the air coming through the window kept the house cool. I saw no harm in baking cookies, and Mike agreed. In the evening, I had to exchange my lightweight summer duster for my warmest robe. Hard to believe that it’s hot in town, but we understand that it is – and it’s time for us to go there.

I saw a bird land on the cherry tree Friday morning and knew it was time to pick the rest of the cherries. Mike did the upper branches from the ladder while I gathered those I could reach. Together we picked a gallon and a half, which resulted in two quarts pitted for the freezer and another quart to eat. We agreed to stay alive and not try to reach the cherries in the top of the tree. “The birds can have the rest,” I said, as I removed the swathing. So, that’s that for this year. It’s good to see the tree swaying freely in the breeze once again. And I learned that the cherries are ripe when they turn dark red. Good to know.

Saturday was a busy workday. Mike mowed. I picked peas and called it the end of the season. In addition to peas in the freezer, I discovered plenty I had overlooked in the refrigerator! I pulled the pea plants out of the raised bed so that the summer squash could have more space. And I picked one zucchini. The strawberries are setting on again, this time with some nice-sized berries. The peak season for rhubarb has passed, but I pulled a few stalks.

Driving back to town on Hwy 12 along the Clearwater River, we encountered a long stretch of seal coating, and unfortunately, despite obedience to the speed limit, the Jeep’s windshield was hit by a small stone, leaving a six-inch horizontal crack. Mike says it means a new windshield. Upsetting.

We also came upon a three-car accident west of Lenore that held us up in the heat for 20 minutes. When the oncoming traffic came through, we couldn’t believe the number of vehicles. I wished I had been counting. By contrast, in 20 minutes there were maybe ten of us heading toward town. It’s really summer now. KW

1 comment:

Chris said...

WE have two huge bing cherry trees but we didn't get any cherries this year. Glad you got some. And yes, the hot weather seems to have arrived, at least for most of this week. Sure am thankful for air-conditioning! Hope you are staying cool.