Wednesday, July 8, 2020

TAMPING THE GROUND


After what seemed like a stressful weekend in town, Mike and I returned to the farm Monday, July 6. It was difficult to coordinate all the errands on Mike’s list because of holiday closures, but in the end it came together – sort of – and we traveled here in the old pick-up with newly upholstered driver’s seat and carrying a load of gravel.

It was 90 in town when we left at 2:30, but when we arrived here at the farm it was 77. The house was stuffy, so I opened many windows, upstairs and down. I marveled that on the foot of our bed were my winter pajamas and robe from last week. “Hahaha!” I laughed to myself. “I won’t be needing those again right away,” and I dug out a summery nightgown.
 
Well, at bedtime, I decided I might be more comfortable if I pulled on the flannel pajama bottoms. “Ah, yes! Just right,” I thought to myself as I snuggled under a light blanket.

Mike had had a full day of running errands non-stop, and when we arrived here, he mowed and trimmed the lawn, finishing after supper. We were both tired, but at 1:30 I found myself wide awake. The wind was blowing and I noticed flashes of lightning to the north, but it was several minutes before I began to hear thunder. After a while, it began to rain, so I got up again and went around the house closing windows and wiping windowsills. Before retiring again, I slipped on my pajama top. So much for being an experienced Idaho gal. 


Son Clint was here by 8:30 Tuesday morning, bringing with him a rented “plate compacter,” which he and Mike used to tamp the soil where the new shed will sit. Then they spread the gravel we brought and tamped again. They were finished before 11:00, and Clint left after lunch. We were grateful for the help and to have this task finished – we hope. We expect the shed to be delivered in August. KW

3 comments:

Hallie said...

Looks like a good job done!

Kathy said...

It's a load off Mike's mind that the site is ready.

Chris said...

Work, work, work!! Don't forget to estivate! (That's the fine art of enjoying the summer!!)