Friday, October 8, 2021

A MORE SEASONABLE OCTOBER ARRIVES

Temps are more seasonal now. The low was 38 yesterday and 44 today – chilly for our morning walks. I found my little gloves and warmer jacket, and Mike warmed the house with a fire in our little stove. The electric blanket is now in service at bedtime.

Mike says it could rain or snow on the farm on Monday. I see it all now: a sudden cold snap with temps in the teens will necessitate an early winterization of the farmhouse. It’s a disappointment not to be able to use the house more in autumn.

We’re still waiting for Little Guy. “What’s happening,” I texted to expectant Hallie. “Haha! Nothing,” she responded. But, of course, something IS happening, even though it might not seem like it, so I packed my bag with the clothes I’ve had stacked for two weeks. So that’s where my socks were!

I know this waiting is hard on Hallie. When you’re a person who gets things done, you don’t wait well. (I’m familiar with this because she’s so like her dad.) Some things just can’t be rushed, though, and it’s best if Little Guy comes when the time is right.

So, Hallie is uncomfortable but walking her dog and doing some light chores. I decided that I, too, cannot just sit and wait. After finishing some mending, I decided to work on a towel I’m making for Little Guy. I voted against bias tape and decided to crochet an edging.

Even though I vowed not to visit Walmart again until they finished remodeling, we needed some things and shopped there anyway. Being Friday morning, it was a zoo! Shoppers filled the aisles. Nevertheless, I found crew socks and a few boxes of regular canning lids. Yoohoo! I felt blessed! It IS a mess there, though, and stock is limited because of distribution issues.

“I have a ‘grandma’ thing to do,” I said to Mike as we passed the baby department, “so you go on with your errand and I’ll meet you over there.” I then tossed this cute “Peanuts” Halloween-themed sleeper into the cart. You know, I might never be a baby-grandma again. I just as well enjoy it. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

How cute is that little sleeper!! Looking forward to a photo of him wearing it!

Kathy said...

Me, too, Chris! I think Hallie looks forward to seeing him wear anything!