Sunday, October 3, 2021

STILL WAITING

It’s official! Little Guy will be an October person like his Uncle Clint. Mike hopes he’s born on Clint’s birthday, the 6th, so that it will be easy to remember the date. As of this writing, we are still waiting for Little Guy, and the odds are still good for the 6th. Hallie says she might be able to influence for the 6th, but if she does, she thinks Clint owes her. (This sibling rivalry thing never goes away!)

Mike left Thursday (Sept. 30) with a motorcycle group for a ride into Montana. This ride is an annual event, and Mike has long wanted to go but opted to hunt instead. This year the hunting is poor (so many favorite hunting spots burned out), so he decided to make this trip instead. It was fine with me, but Bess moped. She’s restless in the fall, knowing it’s hunting season. Talk about a whiner!

As soon as Mike left, I took myself to my favorite shopping center – Albertsons, JoAnn’s, and the Dollar Tree – carrying my reusable shopping bags to each store. As of Friday (Oct. 1), Washington State law bans most retailers from distributing single use plastic bags. This is good. We have to do something about those terrible plastic bags! I for one am fully on board. The retailer is now authorized to charge the consumer for paper bags in order to defray costs. I’m willing to pay the price if I can’t remember my reusable bags. We’re all in this together, whether we want to be or not.

As I checked out at Albertsons, the clerk asked if I had added the coupon offers digitally, and yes, I had. She went on to say that that if a customer brings a physical coupon, they still can’t have the deal unless they enter their phone number. “It has not been a fun week,” she added.

Burp rags and afghan

I finished a small crocheted afghan for Little Guy. I don’t think he needs it, but I just couldn’t not make him one. It’s tradition, you know. How could I do it for all the other babies and not for him? Times change, though. When I see all the baby afghans in the thrift shops, I have to wonder why we bother. 

Machine embroidered onesies

It was hard to stay on task with the afghan during the hot summer. My mother advised that one should plan to deliver one’s baby in May and avoid pregnancy during the summer, but as we know, babies are born year-round.



Anyway, I had to hurry to finish the little afghan before the due date, and I was also pushed along because I wanted to make a “Spider Web” blanket, a pattern featured in Annie’s Halloween issue. It’s a circular afghan and coming along quickly. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

Such cute, cute things you've made!! There's just something special about making baby stuff. Can't wait until he's here!

Hallie said...

What are the little circular/dome shaped things?

Kathy said...

Oh! Oh! I did so hope someone would notice and ask. I admit they didn't photograph especially well. Those, my dear, are "pee pee teepees" to put over your little one's "wee wee" any time he is exposed in a situation where he might let go.

Online makers seemed to think you would need ten of these. I only made two, and I consider it a joke. Such a surprise happened to me a couple of times. I just threw a spare diaper over my boy babies. It is amazing, though, how far that pee can fly.

Chris said...

I wondered too!