Wednesday, October 20, 2021

PARTING -- SUCH SWEET SORROW

The time of leave-taking had come, so Hallie dressed Silas in his Halloween sleeper, and we took parting photos. He was fussy as she put him into his car seat. “I hate to think of you driving with him if he’s crying,” I said, but Hallie said, “He won’t be crying.” And the minute she set him in the car, he ceased complaining.

I was almost teary as I said good-bye to Hallie at the airport. It wasn’t just leaving her and Silas, but the airport seemed overwhelming. My bag was so heavy that we decided I should check it. After I found my way through baggage check, I found my way through security and then on to my gate. Sounds easy in words, but in reality, I found it daunting. But – I did it. I actually flew into Pullman with 80+ other travelers, and the next time will be easier. Hallie says there will be a next time.

Seattle from the air was beautiful, all dressed in autumn finery, especially yellow. We left Seattle 20 minutes late but arrived in Pullman on time. I saw Mike pull into the parking lot as I awaited my bag.

Now I’m home, and it’s on to “next things,” whatever those are. I packed my flannel scraps into a storage box this morning. That phase is over. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

So cute in his peanuts jammies!! I know the feeling of being glad to be home but missing those left behind. And just so you know, I've cried in both DC area airports--for leaving those behind and the mess of navigating the airports. A traveler I'm not. That little Silas is one precious bundle!

Kathy said...

Hi Chris! I feel affirmed hearing that you also find travel overwhelming. I do think we could get used to it if we did more of it, but as far as I'm concerned, the fun of air travel has been destroyed. I am finding, though, now that I'm obviously old(er), that some people go out of their way to help. And then I think to myself, "Has it come to this?"

Silas IS a delight. We are blessed to have a late-life grandchild. Oh, the cookies we will bake!