Wednesday, October 27, 2021

AUTUMN AT THE FARM

Earth-tone beauty

The drive along the Clearwater River as we traveled to the farm on Sunday (Oct. 24) was beautiful – lots of autumn yellow. And that yellowness continued on the grade. It was a beautiful autumn world.

Bush in question to left of center

It rained a lot Sunday afternoon. We spent the night but decided to return to town Monday afternoon, mostly because of the weather. The rain makes the ground muddy. As much as I’d like to spend more time on the farm during the cold months, it’s just not a pleasant stay when it’s chilly and wet. I don’t mind too much. I just stay in the house and enjoy the view, but Bess has to be cleaned every time she comes into the house.

Bush showing fall colors

I DID enjoy the autumn views, even though it's basically bleak. Looking toward the pond from the dining room window, I could see a bush I’d never noticed before. That is, of course I knew the bush was there, but I don’t think I’d ever seen it in autumn. It was red and yellow intermingled. I just had to get closer to see that bush.

Close-up of bush

So, before we left Monday afternoon, Bess and I took a turn around the pond so that I could take pictures, which I post here. Perhaps you can see that the leaves are yellow but the stems are red. The bush also has red berries.



Oh! You would ask for the name of the bush. I don’t know. I’m sure I could find out but not right now. I do know that Mike planted it, though. It's not an old timer. KW

The maple in the front yard looking spooky

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Sort of looks like a rose bush. The berries look like hips to me.

Kathy said...

I think it's a rose bush, too, but I hated to say when I wasn't sure. I've never noticed this autumn beauty before, and I didn't think the other wild roses were so outstanding.