Sunday, December 5, 2021

INA'S CHRISTMAS MEMORIES, 1937 (DAY 5)

So, we’ll have lots of Christmas, and we hope you will, too. Ina, 1932

The circuit minister, Reverend Shandling, would not deliver a sermon at church until Sunday, the 26th, and Ina was grateful that it would fall to their church to receive him and hear a real Christmas sermon. She jotted a little reminder to herself to send a Christmas card to Mr. and Mrs. Shandling right away, inviting them to dinner following the service.

At Sunday school today, Ina had presented the lesson, a pre-Christmas scriptural topic on the Old Testament prophecies of the birth of Christ. Several of the women – the congregation was mostly women now – mentioned that they found Ina’s insights inspirational. Since it was still early in the month, they sang just one Christmas carol, “O, Little Town of Bethlehem.”

REAL TIME UPDATE:


Mike and I went to the farm today, the same place where Ina and Jack lived back in the day. As I bustled around the kitchen, I imagined that I could see Ina and Shirley baking cookies. They paid no attention to me. 

We took stuff up there and brought things back. He had his list; I had mine. I gathered Christmas decorations, bedding, solar lights, and a few things from the pantry. Hmmm. Doesn’t sound like much but it filled a large laundry basket and a crate. We made a trip to the attic for a wreath and my collection of battery-operated candles. (I love my battery-operated candles!)

It was cold – 32 degrees – with sun and clouds. We saw no snow except on the distant Clearwater Mountains. The forecast is for rain / snow tonight. The beautiful shades of fall are gone now and the landscape is what I call colorless. Our fields will be planted in the spring. The sun is low in the sky now, making photography difficult, but I tried. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

Such beautiful pictures of the farm!!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. It looks pretty drab right now. The other day we heard they had two inches of snow there. Do you have snow at your place?

Chris said...

We did, but it's all gone now except for the piles where Dan shoveled. It rained, hailed, blew and generally was awful weather yesterday. Snow is so much lovelier!!

Kathy said...

We had wind yesterday and rain in the afternoon. I agree that snow is lovely, though it makes travel treacherous. As the song says, "And since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."