Thursday, December 23, 2021

INA'S CHRISTMAS MEMORIES, 1937

Ina continues on the Christmas of 1937:

The cones Vance included in his box are very pretty. I gave Bertha a couple and some of the silvered sprays. I have so many now, for I kept some over from last year. It seems like the paint preserves them some way.

 

Next Christmas, I’ll open Vance’s box early and decorate with holly instead of fir. It’s so much prettier on the curtains. I’m already planning for Christmas, you see.

 

Say, did you read the Christmas story, “A New England Christmas,” in the January Readers Digest? It was great. That magazine is the best ever. The “Digest” is a Christmas gift from Vance, and a grand one, too.



 

I enjoyed Christmas 1937 very much. Henry and Shirley stayed over till Monday morning, and we got up to about a foot of wet snow, so Dad hitched up the new team and hooked onto the car at the mailbox hill and took them clear to the highway. He rode on the left fender hooking his right leg over the radiator cap. There were operations to be done, but the lights were off due to the storm, so Shirley was in time after all and they removed the tonsils by flashlight.

[Mike loves peanut brittle. His mother used to send us a batch for Christmas and now Hallie makes it for him. I was interested to read that in 1937, Myrtle sent Ina two big slabs of peanut candy (her weakness), and she sent gumdrops to Jack (his weakness).]


2 comments:

Hallie said...

I've been keeping notes the last 3 years on my brittle making and I think I finally have it dialed in--from stove temperature, recipe, and instructions on having help in the final minute of making. Nick and I made a nice batch of pecan brittle, but I think I prefer peanut brittle--it must be cooked to 320 for best results (in my opinion).

Kathy said...

It's good that you've made notes. It's always good to have a helper when making confections.