Tuesday, December 28, 2021

'TWAS THE WEEK AFTER CHRISTMAS

I feel like I can settle down to just living again and enjoying my gifts and memories of a very happy Christmas to which you added a great deal. – Ina, January 1938

Christmas Day has come and gone, but of course, the annual cycle begins again, so we have a lot of fun in store. “Already planning for next Christmas,” says Ina.

Winter is upon us now – 20 degrees and snowing, but since I’ve no place to go and my family is safely in their rightful places, I don’t really care. We need the snowpack in the mountains.

I look forward to the week between Christmas and New Year’s as a fun time of doing all those things I didn’t get done before Christmas – baking, sewing, or nothing much at all. I’ll gradually put away Christmas decorations but leave out wintry things that brighten the dark days.

Seems like I do less holiday baking every year, and yet, without the shortbread and spritz cookies my mother made and frosted cookies (my favorite), the list of goodies just doesn’t seem right. I’m a reasonably good cook, but – well, I’d just rather not put my time into lengthy cookie decoration. It’s another way in which I identify with my Grandma Ina.

I didn’t mind the lack of holiday goodies until we decided at the last minute to host a family holiday gathering, but no one seemed to notice or care that certain holiday fare was missing from the offerings. We had lunch (notice I don’t call it a luncheon), and then quietly visited for an hour or so. “You see,” said Mike later, “you don’t need a lot of stuff to have a pleasant gathering.”

I was disappointed to miss little Silas’ first Christmas, but Hallie said, “It’s okay; so did he.” I guess he pretty much slept the day away. Perhaps we’ll have his first Christmas next year. Finishing his stocking is on my “to do” list. KW


6 comments:

Chris said...

I, too, love the week between Christmas and New Year's, and for the same reasons. I'm working on my tree quilt that didn't get finished before Christmas, putting it on the long arm today. I did make cookies and shared with Ann and family. They're a tradition I just can't let go.

That little Silas is just the cutest!!

Kathy said...

Well -- I always THINK there are spritz and shortbread cookies. I just don't quite get to it. I even have a cookie shooter. I guess I should get it out. But-- if I had a family here who would help us eat them, that would make a difference.

Yes, and Silas' mother worried that he wouldn't be cute.

Hallie said...

I still don't REALLY know if Silas is cute because I have mother-bias, but when I look at him all I see is perfection.

I'm thinking about taking the tree down. I'm feeling the itch for the new year.

Kathy said...

Well, I have grandmother bias, but I'm pretty sure he's cute. And I always knew it wouldn't be an issue.

I've been thinking about taking our tree down, too. It's sorta in the way, you know. But -- there's so much snow out there right now that I'm not sure I can get it to the shed. Mike would probably help me.

Becky said...

Cousin opinion-Silas is very cute. Love the fist bump pose in the picture :)

Hallie said...

Aww, thanks! Silas is delighted when Nick bumps his fist. Haha