Monday, December 20, 2021

INA'S CHRISTMAS MEMORIES, DAY 20

And now we catch up to the year at hand – 1937. Ina is busy getting ready for Christmas, so we’ll leave her to it for a day or two.

This is the last Christmas related in this series of letters written by Ina – May 1932 to January 1938 – most of them before and after Christmas. Even though my dad (Vance) didn’t return home for Christmas in that time frame, I feel something about his mother’s celebration tugged at his heartstrings. I don’t know what motivated him to save these letters, but everyone knew that the small family farm was becoming a thing of the past, and he probably saw that this was an era of change, not just for his family but for the world.

 

Because of the photos posted here, I know that in 1937, my Aunt Lynn (Myrtle) spent Christmas with my dad in Raymond, WA, where he was a piano teacher. They were ten years apart in age. She was 43; he was 33.

 

I have no written summary of this Christmas in Raymond, but a picture is worth a thousand words, as we say. I get the feeling of a cozy Christmas celebration. 

Undoubtedly, they enjoyed several good meals, including seafood. I’m sure that Ina wished they had come home for an old-fashioned holiday reunion on the farm, but failing that, she was pleased that they would have Christmas together. I’m sure she thought of them as cheered and happy. KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Look! The holly decoration on the window and table. I guess I get to see it after all.

Kathy said...

And the candles -- long tapers. Back in the day, the decorations were simple but effective. I love the way it looks. The greens went up quickly, and removal was easy.

We could give it a try. Pine cones are also decorative, and we have lots. Silas can help decora with glitter and glue.