Wednesday, December 8, 2021

INA'S CHRISTMAS MEMORIES, 1937 (DAY 8)

 

And here, daughter Myrtle describes her trip from Portland to the family farm on Russell Ridge at Christmas 1933, traveling from Portland to Lewiston by train. In retrospect, Ina admitted to herself that the trip had been difficult and perhaps Myrtle shouldn’t have come, but she was grateful to have had her anyway.

Here’s what Myrtle had to say about that Christmas and her trip home:

“The tree was and is a beauty. It was piled full at the foot with gifts, besides the table. A huge Christmas was had by all. It’s a great treat to be at home and to have had Christmas here. We took pictures of the tree with all the presents, then took a picture of the wreckage for fun.

We all talk at once and repeat. I’m slightly “mingled up,” but enjoying the raving. Now that Christmas is over, the house seems so large and orderly! It felt strange to see the clear floor and not have to step over things.

The train was five hours late into Lewiston and we used all the tracks north and south bank, but still I got in in plenty of time to catch the stage to Orofino. Ed Ingram came for me and we had a hard time making it in from the highway. Six inches of snow on top of soft roads. A heavy mantle of snow blanketed the trees. I got a picture of the house before the snow began to go, but we will have more, I hope.


And then Ina recalled how bad the weather had been as the snows of December disappeared in a January rain. They heard dreadful reports from California over the radio – 12 inches of rain in 30 hours, lives lost, damage to houses, bridges, roads, etc. “We never had such work before at that time of year,” said Ina to herself. KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

I wonder what she meant with "all the tracks north and south bank." And poor California--those awful mud slides from the rain. One of the other teachers at our school lost her mother in a mudslide there and they never did find her body. She had a locket of her mother's and wore it always.

Kathy said...

Such a poignant story, Chris!

I don't know what it means to use the tracks north and south bank. I assumed the drifting snow made it necessary to keep switching tracks. It delayed the trip, but they made it through. I can understand how someone might decide not to make the trip.

Becky said...

I was always amazed that there weren't alot of house fires with the use of real candles on the trees.

Kathy said...

Hi Becky!
Well, we know it was dangerous. My mother (your grandmother) told the story of how Santa's beard caught fire on the candles. Papa grabbed him and tossed him out into the snow. And even when I was a girl, those big lights got hot, drying the trees and even igniting them. My dad switched to the little lights as soon as they were available. (But secretly, what I wouldn't give for a peak at the tree as it was when I was little -- big lights and tinsel.)

Becky said...

I remember hearing that story about Santa. Thanks for the memories!