Tuesday, December 7, 2021

May everything for your own “best good” come to you during 1933. – Ina

[I think Ina knew that “everything for your own ‘best good’” wasn’t necessarily what one would like. Sometimes we learn our lessons the hard way.]

Today was ironing day, and with Jack’s help in stoking the wood cook stove, Ina wasted no time in getting right to it. The kitchen was a cozy place to work during the cold months. It was such a dark day that they lit the kerosene lamp on the sconce.

And as Ina ironed, smoothing away all the wrinkles, she began to reminisce again, now moving on to 1933. The summer of ‘33 had been wonderful. Granddaughter Shirley Jean, 7 years old, had come to spend a month with Gram and Gramps. What fun they had had! And then in July, their eldest daughter Pearl and Al had come from their farm in northern Alberta with 13-year-old Stanley. Remember that wonderful Fourth of July picnic? Ina was right in her element with visiting family, including both her grandchildren, to care for.

Pearl & Ethel; Stan and Shirley Jean

“Ah! But the Christmas of ‘33 was a trial,” thought Ina to herself. The weather had been terrible – a regional snow blanketed the Pacific Northwest. Vance was supposed to come home for Christmas, but in the end he didn’t, and Ina had been greatly disappointed. On the other hand, daughter Myrtle (Lynn) had managed to make it home from Portland, though it was difficult. Ina pushed the uncomfortable memories out of her thought and proceeded to think of Christmas itself.


“Well, we had the usual frugal Christmas with gifts piled around the tree and on the library table, etc., also hung a pair of stockings on Shirley’s door. We were afraid we’d have a black Christmas but Sunday it began snowing and Christmas morning we had nearly 6 inches and a lovely snow falling. Henry Shockley was working here, and so we casually asked him back for Sunday afternoon to help decorate house and tree. He’s lively and talks and laughs readily and so filled a gap partly.

On the whole Christmas Eve went off pleasantly. I made my pumpkin pies for Christmas dinner and in the evening, Dad popped two kettlefuls of corn and I put molasses and sugar taffy over it. Very good! We heard part of A Christmas Carol over the radio and various good music. Christmas morning, June’s arrived in force, and we had a lively day and a good dinner (though not lavish), and I ate my fill according to a previous promise to myself. In the evening, we lit the tree and had more radio, more popcorn balls, more nuts and candy.” KW

[The tradition of “A Christmas Carol” on radio continues today, or you can find it in old-time radio podcasts.]

6 comments:

Chris said...

Oh! That popcorn again! Hmm, I may have to do something about that. :-)

Chris said...

Oh, and I forgot to say what a wonderful photo that is of both sides of your family--long before they became your family!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. It's my all-time favorite photo.

Clearly they enjoyed popcorn -- just the best for before-dinner munching. Hmmmm.

Hallie said...

I’m curious about this “sugar taffy” they put on the popcorn. I wonder what that is.

Kathy said...

Hi Hallie!
I researched "taffy coating for popcorn," and my computer corrected to "toffee." Ina probably spelled it "toffy" and I read her writing as "taffy." I'll address this in a post.

Hallie said...

Oh! Well, that sounds more appealing to me. :) You used to make some caramel popcorn--maybe I'll try that this year. I've been very domestic lately. Yesterday, I made peanut butter kiss cookies. It was a small batch and I baked a dozen and froze an additional 15 balls for future cookies.