Monday, November 18, 2019

DAY 10 – KW’S EXCELLENT HOLIDAY STAYCATION


Sunday – the final day of staycation, and now I have things I must do. I was up at 5:40. As soon as it was light, I loaded recycling into the Jeep and headed to Walmart for a battery to rectify the chirping smoke alarm. First, I shopped for a few groceries, and then headed to self-check. I was about to start scanning when I realized I had failed to pick up the battery. Duh! At least I remembered before I left the store. My mother used to say that she would buy everything but that for which she made the trip.

Replacing smoke alarm batteries is Mike’s job, but I was not going to listen to that chirp any longer. The smoke alarm in question was the one in the living / kitchen area at the highest point of the ceiling above the hutch. I got the ladder from the garage and inched along with the process. While I was up there, I dusted the top of the hutch.

The rest of the day was pretty much devoted to putting my sewing machine and supplies away. The cutting table is once again the kitchen counter.

About 3:30, Mike and Bess arrived. Bess noticed the swathed cypress trees before she was out of the car and sounded the alarm. “Bark-bark-bark-bark-bark,” she said. Later, she gathered her courage and examined them, discovering that they were cypress trees in disguise.

When Mike opened the slider, Bess bounded in, leaping over boxes of machine embroidery thread to greet me. “I’m home,” she said, “and I missed you.” I had no idea she cared so much. Her tail wagged for half an hour. We took her for a walk, and she happily strutted along the familiar route. As I cooked (yes, cooking once again), she begged for plates and bowls to lick. She was so happy to be home!

And that’s it. Staycation has drawn to a close. And frankly, I’m glad to get back to normal. KW

4 comments:

Chuck said...

I am puzzled. I thought Mike had arrived home Saturday, not Sunday. Am I off on my days? I am almost as glad he is safely home as Bess is to get home.

Kathy said...

Mike had only been home a few hours when you called on Sunday, Chuck. I think travel was largely uneventful for him with the exception of the issue with the GTI, which does not affect its drive-ability. He wasn't challenged by storms, snow, or ice. And he enjoyed "quality" time with son Yancey. Kids are never too old for quality time.

Chris said...

I can't believe you could sleep through the chirp! Or that you get up so early!! LOL

Kathy said...

I closed the bedroom door, put on my headphones, and listened to a podcast while falling asleep. When I awoke during the night, I played another podcast.

Once I wake up, I am awake, and I rise early to study, meditate, and yes -- shop, but I don't hit the ground running. The first hour or two is quiet "me" time.